Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possibly getting back in a D2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 02:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Possibly getting back in a D2

So, it's been a few years since our '99 D2 got totaled. I've had my eye on one in my neighborhood ever since we've moved in to our current house (2013). It hasn't moved, at all. I noticed this past Monday (I see it everyday as it's on my way out of the neighborhood) that there was a for sale sign in the window. Contacted the owners and they are ready to get rid of it. It has not been started since she parked it in 2003 - just before we moved into the neighborhood. It's a 2013, white SE7 with a DVD player. Tan interior.

I know for sure, it's going to need an exhuast. She said something about needing headers (possibly). She said the mechanic she would take it to mentioned headers. That's all she knows about it. I looked it over Monday evening and I'm going back to look at it again this evening. What should I look for? I was trying to go through my head on things to look for from my past experience on here, but, it's been about 4 or 5 years and can't quite remember what I'm supposed to most concerned about. I'm going to see if the motor will turn by hand this evening before trying start it.

For our use, it would be a "fun toy" to fix up. Make sure it runs and stops good, eventual lift kit, tires, off-road bumpers, that sort of stuff. We had 2 D2's in the past ('99 and '04), and just bought my wife a 2014 RR Supercharged about 2 months ago (Just for reference).

Thanks for any tips in advance!

Last edited by mattmo78; 07-09-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmo78
So, it's been a few years since our '99 D2 got totaled. I've had my eye on one in my neighborhood ever since we've moved in to our current house (2013). It hasn't moved, at all. I noticed this past Monday (I see it everyday as it's on my way out of the neighborhood) that there was a for sale sign in the window. Contacted the owners and they are ready to get rid of it. It has not been started since she parked it in 2003 - just before we moved into the neighborhood. It's a 2003, white SE7 with a DVD player. Tan interior.

I know for sure, it's going to need an exhuast. She said something about needing headers (possibly). She said the mechanic she would take it to mentioned headers. That's all she knows about it. I looked it over Monday evening and I'm going back to look at it again this evening. What should I look for? I was trying to go through my head on things to look for from my past experience on here, but, it's been about 4 or 5 years and can't quite remember what I'm supposed to most concerned about. I'm going to see if the motor will turn by hand this evening before trying start it.

For our use, it would be a "fun toy" to fix up. Make sure it runs and stops good, eventual lift kit, tires, off-road bumpers, that sort of stuff. We had 2 D2's in the past ('99 and '04), and just bought my wife a 2014 RR Supercharged about 2 months ago (Just for reference).

Thanks for any tips in advance!
it needs “headers” or “heads”? It’s possible the Head gaskets failed and they parked it to avoid a costly repair bill. Either way no biggie. I bought my ‘04 at a deep discount with bad head gaskets - both banks had failed.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

There was another recent thread here about a D2 that had been sitting for 7 years and the steps needed to "properly" get it going again. I would imagine much of the same advice holds true for your case.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Rust in the rear quarter frame. Get it up to temp and make sure that there are no noises from slipped sleeves. Check for head gaskets being bad - milky oil, overpressurized cooling system, overheating. Bring an OBD scanner to check the codes and to check coolant temp - I'd assume "headers" actually means "head gaskets."

Old 07-09-2020, 03:40 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Check all the conduit on the wire harnesses in the engine bay, get all the old crumbly stuff out and change it with new conduit or spiral wrap. Not doing mine soon enough just bit me hard. Lots of heat in the engine bay and you want those wires well protected.

Rhys Legge

Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks guys! I asked if it was headers or head gaskets. She said it was headers. I asked if it had ever overheated or got hot, she said no. I explained why I was asking for the difference and she was adamant that it had never overheated. I'll see if I can find the thread about the other one that had been sitting... thanks.

I checked the oil level. It was black, but still full. No leaks underneath that I could see - no marks on the driveway for something that hadn't moved in 6 or 7 years.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

It’s a 2003 ? And parked in 2003. Must have 0 miles

Old 07-09-2020, 03:54 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
It’s a 2003 ? And parked in 2003. Must have 0 miles
Edited to say 2013.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:57 PM
Mudding
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I would even go as far as dropping the oil pan and clearing out the sludge, because chances are there will be sludge! Good luck and have fun!

Rhys Legge

Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Don't expect it to be a daily driver any time soon. lol
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Possibly getting back in a D2