Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential D1/D2 Buyer here - need help on some specifics please

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 01:32 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential D1/D2 Buyer here - need help on some specifics please

Hello.

I am in the market for a D1 or D2. I have some questions about the differences between them so I can make the right choice. There are some things I just can't seem to figure out, so could use some help.

1. I read that the D2 is both longer and wider than the D1. This confuses me because it appears they use the same Dashboard width? I read that D1s can have a cramped driving position and I am a tall lad, 6'4" (193cm) with long legs. I definitely need as much leg/head room as possible and the best seating/driving position for a tall fellow. Where is the width change? Are the seats wider? Is there more width on the interior of a D2, and if so, how are the dashes interchangeable if the width is different? How about leg room? is there a leg room difference between the D1 and D2?
2. Axles - it seems based on my research that the D1 has weaker (though easier to service) axles than the D2. Full float on D1 and semi float on D2's but open knuckle which allows bigger CVs on D2? D2 generally stronger axles? More steering angle?
3. Rear suspension design. I read the D1 uses A-frame rear end and the D2 uses a watts link. Does this mean the D1 has a permanent advantage with rear end articulation? Can the D2 be upgraded to match the D1 in terms of rear end articulation? (I will be using the truck off road)
4. We are a tall family, kids are all tall and so is the wife. Does the D2 have noticeably more interior space overall?
5. D2 ABS/ACE/HDC, etc. With the fancier traction aids on the D2, can it still be used on tough off road tracks, or do those things need to be deleted to keep it reliable on the tracks? Can you delete some systems and keep others, say the ACE/air bags but keeps the ABS/traction control to keep it more reliable? Do the wheel speed sensors often cause issues? We have a 2004 Nissan titan that has similar systems (ABS/anti lock brake limited slip) very similar to the D2 it seems and it never gives us any grief or problems with the sensors. Trying to compare.
6. Is there any appreciable differences in terms of suspension lifts? I would probably plan to lift it 4" and run 33-35" tires. Most likely would also be looking to diesel swap it eventually so the existing V8 likely wouldnt matter too much.

Any other noticeable differences? Mainly looking into space differences, articulation differences, axle/driveline strength differences and whether the D2 can be used on tougher tracks with the existing systems or if its best to start deleting things, and if that is the case, can you delete some options without deleting others while keeping the remaining systems operational and ideally without trouble lights? how "modifiable" are D2s? I would likely be looking at a 95-97 D1 or a an 04 D2 (with center diff lock).

I know there are lots of questions here but appreciate any feedback to help me make a decision.
Cheers,

Old 04-29-2022, 05:31 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you sat in either? The seating position in them is rather high and if you are 6' 4" you may find yourself scrunching down/bending over to look out the windshield. None of the other things matter if you don't fit comfortable in the truck.

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (05-01-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 06:21 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Suspension on a d1/classic is significantly easier to get more flex from. To put lockers into a d1 you'd need to upgrade to 24 spline axle shafts regardless which is the same/similar in strength to a d2. Kicker is if you want to do an engine swap it's significantly easier in a D1 than a D2 as less electronics to deal with. D2s are limited imo to a 10-11" shock unless you make major changes to the radius arms as they will bind on the axle side regardless of cranked or not. That's still a good amount of shock travel to get full engagement out of however my buddy's classic is running 14" shocks in the rear on a 4-5" lift with a modifed a-arm and gets full engagement. That said we wheel together all the time and there isn't a huge difference in performance on the trail as articulation doesn't solve the ground clearance at the diffs or body and we run similar size tires. The TC and abs in the D2 is great and all the issues with the 3 amigos are known and generally easy/inexpensive to fix and can be maintained with the ACE system disabled/removed.

I don't get the love for the 04 d2s. They have the highest chances of bum motors and cost so much more for essentially the CDL linkage installed. Buy a 99 with no sunroofs and even paying someone to install the CDL linkage you'll come out way ahead and have 2 less problems to deal with (sunroofs). Plus the interiors are all the same and if you have to have the facelift headlights it's not that hard to fit them to a 99-02.

Old 04-29-2022, 06:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderover
1. I read that the D2 is both longer and wider than the D1. This confuses me because it appears they use the same Dashboard width? I read that D1s can have a cramped driving position and I am a tall lad, 6'4" (193cm) with long legs. I definitely need as much leg/head room as possible and the best seating/driving position for a tall fellow. Where is the width change? Are the seats wider? Is there more width on the interior of a D2, and if so, how are the dashes interchangeable if the width is different? How about leg room? is there a leg room difference between the D1 and D2?
I've never had anything but D2s, so I am going to skip the comparative questions and just give my D2 specific insight.

As for height and leg room; I am 6'2" and I am comfortable in a D2 with the seat all the way back, but there's not a lot of room to spare. I've recommend driving one. I've heard tale of ways you can modify the seat frame to go back a bit further, but I've never felt the need to persue that.

2. Axles - it seems based on my research that the D1 has weaker (though easier to service) axles than the D2. Full float on D1 and semi float on D2's but open knuckle which allows bigger CVs on D2? D2 generally stronger axles? More steering angle?
Steering angle is nothing to write home about. The D2 axles are not difficult to service. Axle nut comes off, brakes come off (two bolts), hub bolts come out (four bolts), beat the hub out with a deadblow hammer, axle slides out. If you're not using an impact, I recommend popping the center cap out of the wheel and removing the axle nut while the wheel is still on the truck and truck sitting on the ground.

3. Rear suspension design. I read the D1 uses A-frame rear end and the D2 uses a watts link. Does this mean the D1 has a permanent advantage with rear end articulation? Can the D2 be upgraded to match the D1 in terms of rear end articulation? (I will be using the truck off road)
Again, not sure how it works out comparatively, but the D2 has pretty good articulation out of the box. The watts link is a good setup. If you lift there is a different upper link available for the watts link that corrects for the binding of the watts link.

5. D2 ABS/ACE/HDC, etc. With the fancier traction aids on the D2, can it still be used on tough off road tracks, or do those things need to be deleted to keep it reliable on the tracks? Can you delete some systems and keep others, say the ACE/air bags but keeps the ABS/traction control to keep it more reliable? Do the wheel speed sensors often cause issues? We have a 2004 Nissan titan that has similar systems (ABS/anti lock brake limited slip) very similar to the D2 it seems and it never gives us any grief or problems with the sensors. Trying to compare.
6. Is there any appreciable differences in terms of suspension lifts? I would probably plan to lift it 4" and run 33-35" tires. Most likely would also be looking to diesel swap it eventually so the existing V8 likely wouldnt matter too much.
Yes, you can delete the ACE and Air Bags but keep your TC/HDC/ABS. Those three are tied together, if one fails none of the three function. Great great systems when they work, but not the most reliable. They won't leave you stranded or anything, they just simply won't work. Do some research on the "three amigos". I have historically opted not to fix them on most of my rigs, but the few times I have had them working they have been impressive.

3" lift is pretty good on these. Once you go to 4" you want to start replacing driveshafts and castor corrected radius arms. Of course, some people say that at 3" as well and a couple have run 4" without as much, though they don't have much time under their belts yet. You can fit 33s under 3", and unless you want to either upgrade axle shafts or carry spares, 33" tires is as large as I'd go. Land Rover axles are not known for their strength, and even with 33s breaks are possible. I run 33s on my D2s.

Any other noticeable differences? Mainly looking into space differences, articulation differences, axle/driveline strength differences and whether the D2 can be used on tougher tracks with the existing systems or if its best to start deleting things, and if that is the case, can you delete some options without deleting others while keeping the remaining systems operational and ideally without trouble lights? how "modifiable" are D2s? I would likely be looking at a 95-97 D1 or a an 04 D2 (with center diff lock).
D2s are very modifiable. There is good aftermarket support and the parts are surprisingly reasonable, usually.

CDL was in the transfer case from '99-'01 as well, you just have to add the linkage. '02 and '03 it could be added, though getting an '04 that is already cometely set up is nice.

Old 04-29-2022, 07:09 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I currently own both. And I still don't think there is a "better one". Someone abouve talked about 10 spline axles in a D1...I've never seen that. Ever. But pound for pound it's my opinion driveline on both is around the same measure of reliability. The field serviceable axles on the D1 is a plus. However they are more maintenance when doing things like brake rotors. The D2 axles are just ball joints and CV's. Nothing spooky or complicated.
The interior of the D2 is a bit more refined and polished. The door panels are a bit nicer and the seats nicer. Better weather stripping. The climate control system is pretty good. I don't know where your from but D2s tend to rot in the rear frame. That could be a major problem if you're in the rust belt.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:45 AM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

D2’s are a bit longer but I’m pretty sure the width is the same. The extra length is behind the rear wheels so the departure angle is not as good. But the plus is a bit more interior space.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

The D2 (and D1) don't have a large amount of leg room in the back- the extra length on the D2 is an extra 6" but it's all in the cargo area. The rear wheel arches intrude quite some distance in to the rear seating area which on one hand keeps the wheelbase short (100") but limits the size and location of those seats. Not to mention the rear window only rolls down halfway!

Old 04-29-2022, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

04 D2 guy here they just go D1 or D2 have no issues over most terrain - BUT the youngest truck is 18 years old so the biggest issue is previous owner maintenance, the engine being a sleeved aluminum block with aluminum heads is the weak point if it is allowed to run hot or overheat. Look after it keep it cool and they run fine.

I follow loads of defenders etc in my D2 and other and other than ground clearance never have had an issue, but I only have a 2 in lift.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:48 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow thanks for all the replies to quickly! That's great info.

That's interesting about the dimensional changes. Reading online it was saying the D2 is 4 inches wider and 6.5 inches longer than the D1 and on the blurb I read they said it was to increase the interior space, but now im reading that the entire 6.5 inches was actually added only BEHIND the rear seats? So for someone with both D1 and D2 ownership, is there actually no difference between the seating areas of the D1 and D2? I read the D2 has a taller windshield so may be better for taller drivers visibility, but was hoping the D2 would have also more leg room and shoulder width. It's interesting that it says a 4 inch width increase but i suppose that could only be at the chassis/axles and not actually translate into 4 inches wider interior space? I also read there was more rear leg room on the D2 vs the D1, but all the extra space is actually behind the middle rear seats?

My pathfinder diesel i currently drive (first gen) also has the wheel arches protrude into the rear seating area but the pathfinder is overall a fair bit more narrow than the disco from what i can tell so I think there will still be more space than what I currently have now.

As far as the engine, I am not too fussed as I likely wouldnt be keeping the V8 for very long. I'm looking into the BMW M57 diesel engine as an option. That's kind of why I was looking at the 04 D2 as there is one not too far from me with an overheating engine I could probably get for a fair price and use as a swap candidate. (I love to build custom vehicles and with fuel costs here the diesel is definitely worth it). It seems some versions will bolt right in to the land rover drive train and other versions have adapters readily available. I am an electronics tech so wiring/systems are comfortable for me. I was thinking bmw m57 > bmw 6hp6 auto > lt230 with upgraded rover axles.

I'll definitely have to find some discos to sit in and see for myself the driving position, it seems that will be the make or break, i just figured if the D2 was noticeably larger on the interior then that would make my search a little easier, but hearing they are actually the same as far as leg room and such goes it might not matter so much. Interesting.

If anyone here has both d1/d2 on hand at the moment, i was wondering would it be possible to check if there is indeed a difference in leg room between the d1 and d2? for both the front and middle rear seats? I know the d2 also has proper third row seating as opposed to the d1 with the jump seats and i have a family of 5 so the extra real estate on the interior would go a long way as space is our biggest hurdle right now with the pathfinder, though im quite used to the short rear overhang so might have to look into doing a rear quarter chop or something to keep the rear end from dragging.

appreciate all the replies, happy for any more info! thanks

Old 04-29-2022, 01:15 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

D2 doesn't have third row seating. Some trucks came with jump seats like the D1.

Quick Reply: Potential D1/D2 Buyer here - need help on some specifics please