Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Transmission Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Potential Transmission Fixes? (tranny working now)

I was just given a 2000 Discovery II by a co-worker. He was tired of dealing with repairs and maintence. He claims the transmission is bad. Transmission and transfer case replaced in 2007 under warranty. Symptoms include grinding sound and vehicle will only go a foot or so forward or reverse. I read about similiar situations with Disco II transmissions/transfer cases that were remedied with a fluid fill-up. Any other things to check?

Last edited by jakerr; 03-06-2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Title was misleading.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Rock Crawling

That almost sounds like the deferential's are locking up???? People with more knowledge will have more.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yank the pan, and check the fluid and filter for filings.

How much did you get it for?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Pull the tranny pan looking for color of fluid and metal on the magnetic plug, then drain both the diffs and t/case also looking for metal on the plugs, then get back to us.
By the way, are there any fault codes, if so what are the fault code numbers.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Check all fluid levels first, and make sure the front driveshaft is still there and that there is not a huge hole in the side of the transmission.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the response to my transmission/transfer case problem. I got my intel on the transmission mixed up. In talking with the previous owner, he stated the vehicle did not move but did make a grinding noise when transmission put into park. Front driveshaft intact. Did not pay anything for the Discovery so I feel I can put some elbow grease and a rebuilt tranny/transfer case in if necessary. Will drain both and report back what I find. Thanks again.

vr
MSgt Jim Kerr (USAF Ret)

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Ahhh Pinedale. Spent a week there one night!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jakerr
Thanks for the response to my transmission/transfer case problem. I got my intel on the transmission mixed up. In talking with the previous owner, he stated the vehicle did not move but did make a grinding noise when transmission put into park. Front driveshaft intact. Did not pay anything for the Discovery so I feel I can put some elbow grease and a rebuilt tranny/transfer case in if necessary. Will drain both and report back what I find. Thanks again.

vr
MSgt Jim Kerr (USAF Ret)

Well that's one hell of a good deal if you ask me.

Don't be scared by these trucks, you treat them well, they'll treat you well.

The bolts to get the pan off are 10mm. You need about a 3-4inch extension to get at some of them. There should be a magnet in the bottom of the pan, and it's a T-26 to get the trans filter off; (I believe it's T-26 although I could be wrong, it's been about a year since I've been into the trans pan of a DII).

I don't see how he could have killed the transmission except from sheer abuse and neglect. These transmissions are tough as nails. I had a 2001 DII that had a hole in the transmission from a broken front driveshaft. I had patched the hole with JB Weld. I decided I wanted a 5-speed DI, so I sold the DII to my friend. It's been over a year, and he is still driving it with the hole patched. He's run it nearly dry, and it still shifts smooth as glass. If that's not a testament to their toughness, then I don't know what is.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

Aaron

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jakerr

vr
MSgt Jim Kerr (USAF Ret)
If you want some help, send me your tele number and I would be glad to walk you thru a step by step to find the problem.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Wow, good deal. Looking for one for my wife, wish I could get a deal that good For free I'd even accept a DII.

Quick Reply: Potential Transmission Fixes