Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Transmission Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have someone put it in gear and watch the driveshafts under the vehicle. It sounds like you have a broken axle shaft or blown diff to me. If it is sitting there and a shaft is spinning, start looking at that axle....

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Have someone put it in gear and watch the driveshafts under the vehicle. It sounds like you have a broken axle shaft or blown diff to me. If it is sitting there and a shaft is spinning, start looking at that axle....
X2 I never thought of that.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the "grinding noise putting it into park" set it off....

Old 03-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
the "grinding noise putting it into park" set it off....
It makes sense because the axles and diffs are the weak points in our drivetrain...hell, I know someone who broke a front diff this last weekend...and a friend of mine in the UK with a Rangie has gone through three rears...

Old 03-04-2010, 07:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again for the info. At present, I can't get the rover to turn over. Charged the battery (new interstate battery) and it reads 13.5 volts. When I try to start it, I get a soft clicking noise below the fuse panel in the engine compartment. Guess I should start a new thread for this problem.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

without hearing it, it sounds like a starter or starter solenoid.

Phil

Old 03-06-2010, 07:22 PM
4wd Low

Finally got rover started. Blown "SM" fuse and broken wire to solenoid. Got it started but runs a little rough. Verified the vehicle was in high range and put tranny in drive and it drives ok. Reverse works too. "service engine soon" light flashes on instrument cluster. Engine does not have much power.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default Im dealing with the transmission problem as well

Hello guys, I dont know if you were successful fixing the transmission problem, but Ive just today started down the same path as you appear to be on.

But I think I might have something to add.

Mine 98 Disco was running ok but started stalling when I came to a stop. Thinking tune up, I began with the oil change and then decided to do the gearbox fluids while I was at it. WHen I got finished I was a little short on the transmission fluid but though, a quick trip to the store wont hurt it. Started up fine but wouldn't engage and would grind when it went into park. I didn't think of looking under to see if the drive was spinning but will in the morning.

But then things got strange. The key decided to get trapped (this due to the solenoids not registering it in park so it wont release the key) knowing this I just disconnected the battery and pulled the key out. It had rolled a few feet during the last attempt to get it moving, so I was sticking out of my parking spot a bit and decided to see if I could put it in neutral and push it back in.

No go, even with keys in motor running in neutral no parking brake it acted like it was in park. Then the alarm in the dash started screaming at me, long constant beeeeeeeeeeeep. Key once again trapped and it starting to drive me crazy so, disconnected the battery once again.

Thinking it over for a while and turning to this web site (thanks by the way very helpful) I concluded it must be the fuse and/or the sensor on the break pedal. Went back to begin that and checked under the hood just one more time and found a vacuum hose was rotted. Fixed that, and thought HEY wonder if that was the problem, and tried again. No go but this time no long beep it screamed at me for a few seconds and the dash lit up but other than that was uneventful.

Im getting ready to go attempt it again but was wondering is it the possibility that the low transmission fluid is causing the whole problem? I only say this because it was running fine before I decided to fix the non broken (other than stalling issue)? I cant see how all of a sudden it has electrical issues but can only assume it would have to be caused by something I did during the oil/gearbox fluid change.

Your thoughts?

Dallasgoldbug at gmail. com if you want to contact me.