Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat move backwards but not forwards. Blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Power seat move backwards but not forwards. Blowing fuses

So I took a break at work today and decided to lounge in the disco for a bit. I got it to lay down a bit but it was clearly struggling. Choppy slow movement. Didn't think much of it but when I tried to tilt the seat back up it barely moved at all and finally it blew the 40a fuse. I had some 30a fuses in the center console so I put one of those in and the seat tilted backwards like normal (seriously like normal, not choppy or slow) but when I tried to tilt it forward it immediately blew the fuse. Tried again and got the exact same result.

Now im looking forward to driving home with my head in the backseat. Any advice you folks could give me before I try to figure this out later today?

It reminded me of a time when I believed I heard a crackling/popping sound, like sparks, coming from below the seat while I was tilting it forward or back. I have to assume thats related.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

Had a similar issue with my passenger side last year. It would recline just a bit and blow the fuse.

Pull the side cover and you should see the wire harness running up beside the pivot. The seat back frame had worn through one of the wires on mine. Tape and a short section of wire loom fixed it.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello jumping in on this old thread. I am also having an issue with fuses blowing when adjusting the seat. It doesn't sound as bad as yours but I've had to replace the fuses in both seats twice so far this year. Before I dig into what you've suggested with wires etc I'm wondering if someone could let me know what size fuses go in what compartment.
There is a slim chance the previous owner put the wrong size in so I'd like t check that before digging.

Also wanted to throw this out there but my heated seats don't work either. Would this be related? The light comes on when you press the button but no heat.
Probably a an entirely different issue.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Here's the diagrams for the seats

And to answer your other question, the satellite fuses under the seat are a 40 amp then 2 3 amp fuses

Old 04-06-2017, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Check the wiring on the outside edge of the seat under the trim piece. It's where the wire goes from the top/bottom of the seat and it's known to get knicked and ground out against the seat frame itself. If the wire is still in decent shape just wrap the knicked wire really good with electrical tape & you should be good to go.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at on the diagram but under my seats there appears to be a little apnoea that holds 3 fuses. Each seat only contains on fuze, both at 15 amp. Right under the front of the seat.

Maybe thats my problem.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't sure exactly what I was looking at on the diagram but under my seats there appears to be a little apnoea that holds 3 fuses. Each seat only contains on fuze, both at 15 amp. Right under the front of the seat.

Maybe thats my problem.
should be 2 3amp fuses and 1 40amp fuse under the seat right by the heated seat relay.