Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering box leak ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering box leak ?

A couple days ago I heard my power steering pump ( 04' Disco ) complaining. I get home and fluid is pouring out on the garage floor.. after a bit of investigation the two hard lines that go to the top of the steering box ( there's a screw that holds a diamond shape plate with hoses going into it) well that plate they go into was leaking ?!! I called AB and was told the two lines thread into there.however you cannot threat two lines into that plate , they look like they go into it and then the diamond shaped plate holds them in ?
I'm trying to post a pic
Any help , direction or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-20-2017, 09:16 AM
6th Gear

It's leaking from the line on the right but under the plate thingy.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM
6th Gear
Old 01-20-2017, 11:23 AM
6th Gear
Old 01-20-2017, 01:38 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Do you want to replace the pump? I had a leak before and thought was the hose. But the plate you mentioned. If you want to replace it yourself you need to start with fhe fan wrench and the rest are regular tools. Only hard part was clamping the hose below. Also you need to remove the compressor aside.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM
6th Gear

Well I've already taken everything apart and I am going to replace the pump and hoses as well however the issue is where the pressure hose ties into the steering box . The spot in the photo I posted shows the two lines going into that plate that's on top of the steering box. The little plate the two lines tie into is where it's leaking . Does that plate come off and the two hard lines just pass through it with an oring or something?

Old 01-20-2017, 03:03 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

My phone shows no photo. Ill check later or someone soon. As i recall one hose from the container plastic return and one thinner to steering box. Thats all i touched.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:51 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roark
Well I've already taken everything apart and I am going to replace the pump and hoses as well however the issue is where the pressure hose ties into the steering box . The spot in the photo I posted shows the two lines going into that plate that's on top of the steering box. The little plate the two lines tie into is where it's leaking . Does that plate come off and the two hard lines just pass through it with an oring or something?
Mike,

Just replaced all of my ps hoses two weeks ago and you are exactly correct. The plate bolts down and holds the two hoses in place in the steering box. Both hoses have o-rings that prevent leaking. A/B and other online places sell the proper o-rings (but never seem to give measurements) but others might chime in with sizing so you could source them locally.

Just my 2 cents, the hoses aren't cheap, but if money isn't a concern and the hoses are original I'd just replace them while you were at it. That whole area is a b*tch to get at and it sucks to have to circle back a few months later to redo something a second time.

I was replacing my radiator and knew one of the hard lines ran under it and took the opportunity to replace all of the hoses while I had the working room. Cost me an extra two hundred and change but I don't regret it a bit.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Roark
A couple days ago I heard my power steering pump ( 04' Disco ) complaining. I get home and fluid is pouring out on the garage floor.. after a bit of investigation the two hard lines that go to the top of the steering box ( there's a screw that holds a diamond shape plate with hoses going into it) well that plate they go into was leaking ?!! I called AB and was told the two lines thread into there.however you cannot threat two lines into that plate , they look like they go into it and then the diamond shaped plate holds them in ?
I'm trying to post a pic
Any help , direction or thoughts would be greatly appreciated
i had a leak in that same vicinity. Turned out to be the line itself. The flared end where it 90's into the top of the pump developed a microscopic stress crack. I did not catch it at first, but after attempting to replace the o-rings for a "second time" due to continual leakage - I noticed the stress cracks.

Luckily, I had a spare line from a donor truck. Of course, it was the line that runs under the Radiator.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM
6th Gear

I've ordered o rings from AB . I'm hoping the power steering pump wine was just because of the leak or air getting into system and not because it's failing ..
thanks for all the help !

Quick Reply: Power steering box leak ?