Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering leak

Hello all, I noticed a significant power steering leak last night. Not sure what to look for or how to diagnoise where it is leaking. Can anyone give me suggestions on what to look for and how to diagnoise this issue? Thanks.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

1. congrats on soon to be dad !
2. get some degreaser and clean off as much as possible, fill up the reservoir and go for a drive, now take another look and you should be able to better pinpoint the leak....get back to us with what you find.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Degreaser, to be used top and bottom of the engine on that side, then power scrub and let dry. When you restart, you'll see the leak and if need be, remove the air intake lid and hose assembly for a better look.
Let us know what you find, you will be looking at 3 different hoses plus the pump and gear box.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Mudding

Yep - everything is right below the reservoir so if anything is leaking it looks like it all is leaking. fap99.com has all three hoses for about $75 total (mine's leaking too).

Old 05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator

Odds are 50/50 for maybe one belt, bigger chance it is a leaking pump.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Drifting

OK, I took a look and it looks like it is leaking only at the hose that goes from the reservoir to the pump. There is a hose that has a slinky like cover and that thing was soaked in power steering fluid. Appears to be leaking from that connection at the pump. Does this mean I just need to replace the seal inside that hose?

Last edited by david1289; 05-03-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Mudding

I just had this happen to me. I replaced my PS pump and it was leaking like a mother from the same place. I am willing to bet that your hoses are find and that it is the pump that is leaking. Pull the pump and place it with the pulley side down on a workbench. You should see four allen head bolts around the outside of the pump. Before you take them apart i would see if they are all tight. After checking that remove the four bolts and take the two half of the pump apart. Make sure that you are carefull so the inside pieces do not all fall out. There should be a gasket between the two halfs. Remove that and clean off the fluid and the bits of gasket sealer. Then clean both halfs of the pump housing with a clean rag and break cleaner. Make sure that you get it good and clean and then let it dry. Put some gasket sealer on both halfs of the PS pump cases and let sit for 5 or 10 minuets. Make sure that the bead is solid but put only a thin line of it. Then put the gasket back in the middle and put the pump back together wiping off the excess that squishes out. I let mine sit over night before i reinstalled it to make sure that it way dry. Also when you put the hose back on the bottom of the pump don;t use the factory hose clamp, replace it with a 1 1/8 inch hose clamp. This is what i did and now it does not leak a drop. Might want to wait till mike chimes in to make sure this is an ok fix but it worked for me. feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Drifting

I'll see if I can take it apart this weekend then. Sounds like a fun project to do! I'll first check on the bolts and make sure it is all tight. If they are then I'll proceed with tearing it apart and adding that gasket sealer.

Let me know if anyone else has any thoughts! Thanks all!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Why go thru all that work, if in fact the pump case is leaking. Go on line and order a bottle of White Shepherd p/s stop leak and follow the directions. If it is a seal you stand a real good chance of stopping it within 200 miles of constant running or driving time.
Worked for me and a few of my friends.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Mudding

Depends on why it is leaking. On mine it was leaking because the bolts that hold both sides of the pump together were loose. I put the gasket sealer on both sides just in case. I also put blue thread lock on the four bolts that hold the pump together so they would not come loose again.

Quick Reply: Power Steering leak