Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Problem - Shop says Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Also pentosin power steering fluid is green. And some others like Volvo and maybe BMW? I don't know. Some of the European cars.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by willypilgrim
So the consensus is of course green fluid means coolant. If it's leaking coolant, which I would gather is from the high and low pressure hoses he mentioned, is that responsible for the air in PS fluid / power steering problem?
Coolant is either green or orange. It has nothing at all to do with the steering system. It could be leaking from many different places and for many different reasons, none of which will make your steering groan.

I have never heard of green power steering fluid, but apparently it exists. So hopefully that is what was leaking.

A bad power steering hose (whether high or low) will leak and/or spray power steering fluid, and allow air to enter the system which will make the pump groan. Eventually the air will kill the pump if it isn't fixed.

At this point, all you can do wait to hear from your tech. Ask him about the green fluid and he'll tell you if it is a coolant leak or a power steering fluid leak.