Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 03:37 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 283 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Replacement Question

I have a leaking power steering pump and/or hoses. The steering reservoir also suffered some sort of overflow from the cap.

The truck is sitting outside on alot of snow at the moment. I have not had a chance to tear into it completely at the moment. Just trying to do research first to understand what the situation may be.

I noticed a failed power steering pump could be a likely scenario from what I have read. Some of the old threads also mentioned some of the Amazon or Ebay remanufactured ones don't last long. My options based on current research:

- Atlantic British's factory power steering pump - currently out of stock
- Proline option available at Rovers North
- The steering reservoir also appears to no longer be available anywhere

Any thoughts on the Proline version.... or another option? Thanks

Old 01-21-2024, 04:26 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I put in an OEM from Lucky8 a while back. I don’t have any experience with the one you mentioned. https://lucky8llc.com/collections/di...ering-pump-oem

The following users liked this post:
acg (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 05:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

The reservoir is no longer made. some people have found an aftermarket aluminum one. Or, just clean out the existing one w brake cleaner and compressed air. Check the steering box also. I would give everything very thorough cleaning and then drive it for a day and see where the fluid is. There are so many places, the high pressure hose, the box, the pump, the reservoir, any of these could be leaking.
Awesome cleaner from the dollar store is amazing at cleaning grease and oil.

acg (01-21-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 05:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

The factory ps pump is an incredibly simple oil pump with a sealed bearing in the front that almost never wears out until 240k ish and internal rear bushing that never wears out. 99% of the time the leaks are coming from the rear cover or the hose connecting to it. The factory gasket is thin mylar and pushes out and breaks. Occasionally the rear cover can crack and leak. I used to be able to buy gaskets from Abbes Performance but they have not responded to emails in a long time. You can buy rebuild kits on ebay, or replacement pumps. Replacement pumps are relatively affordable from normal auto parts stores and come with a decent warranty but are subject to the same gasket issues but they are probably the best option for the $.

acg (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 06:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

The ACE version of the reservoir is still available. I haven’t seen in person but each side is sealed off from the another so you just use the PS side. Like other said, unless it’s cracked you can just clean out the old one.

acg (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm struggling with this project as well. The cold has delayed the process.

Here are a couple of tips I suggest for the project.

Replace the hose from the reservoir to the pump while you are taking off the pump. It's an inexpensive part, $25 from Lucky8.

Buy some 1/4" Inside and 3/8 outside dimension tubing. This is to bleed the pump from air bubbles. After you fit everything together RAVE says to turn the screw on top of the steering box to let out bubbles. The issue is the fluid really comes out at a fast rate and you can go through a quart in a matter of 10-20 seconds. With the tube you can run it to the reservoir and cycle it through.

By the way, I purchased the Amazon pump. Having issues with still getting bubbles so I replacing the hose. Now my issue is it's too cold outside to want to work on it.

acg (01-22-2024)