Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Reservoir?? What to do when need to replace and can't find one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 10:39 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering Died - What do I do about the Reservoir??

Hello all,

I started hearing a bit of whining from my power steering pump under load several months ago... mostly only when the A/C was on... So I figured I wasn't long from some issues.

That said, I had never replaced the fluid, so I decided I'd give flushing it a try first. I used Disco Mike's method with the turkey baster, and filled it with Lucas to start, moved it back and forth to the stops, then let it sit overnight as I ran out of time and figured I'd do it in the AM.

I started up to take it for a drive around the block, and could feel a lot of dead spots, where it was hard to turn the wheel. By the time I got down the drive and around the block, I was fighting to turn it into the driveway.

I figured that at 120,000 miles it's time for me to replace the steering pump anyway, and I usually try to follow the Atlantic British recommendations and replace the components that they list in the videos, etc.

I planned to replace the pump, lines, and reservoir, as per recommendations.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a new reservoir anywhere. The filter looks gunky (there was quite a bit of gunk generally), but I couldn't figure out how to get the turkey baster over into that side to suction it, as there's a baffle in the way... I'm concerned about reduced flow damaging the new pump or reducing its lifespan.

I'm not quite sure what to do here; anybody had this issue or can speak to the challenge?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by pwdiamond80; 10-30-2023 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

hit up Will Tillery for a good, used reservoir. google Roverguy.

Old 10-31-2023, 07:43 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

I'd remove the reservoir and clean it. Never seen on go back. Pull it out, put a bit of gas in it, shake it around real good and pour it out. Repeat a few times. Should get all your gunk out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alex_M:
Richard Gallant (10-31-2023), Roont (11-05-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 08:21 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

And use Pentosin CHF 11S for the fluid. Expensive, but amazing stuff.

Old 10-31-2023, 11:22 AM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts

I cleaned mine and blasted the mesh filter with some CRC Lectra Clean 3000. New O-ring on the cap. Good as new!!!

The following users liked this post:
JohnZo (10-31-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 11:10 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks, all.

As I'm looking through all of the challenges with replacing the hoses, dealing with the radiator, etc., I find myself wondering if I really want to get into (or need to) change all of the hoses right now, as I have limited access to a decent garage at the moment. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this, assuming the lines all look to be in good condition?

Old 11-02-2023, 06:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

If you aren't seeing any leaks, just run it. With the quality of parts these days, I do not replace anything that isn't already bad.

As for the fluid, some swear by the pentosin. I always run ATF and have never had a problem.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

If you are ordering parts, might be worth getting the o rings for the high pressure lines. Anything that you might remove, replace the seal on it. Speaking from experience, buy a higher quality pump. I bought a cheap one and it lasted a couple years before replacement was in order.

The following users liked this post:
pwdiamond80 (11-02-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 04:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just another owner

As mentioned if no leaks and if you notice rhe whining with ac and haven't cleaned the reservoir yet other than attempting to change some fluid. Just watch the reservoir while is running see if the reservoir looks to get low but slow to refill causing the whine. Which also shows clogged screen. But yeah getting the reservoir put and clean it good before replacing parts. I run the pentosin now and I added a bit of zmax as I had a whine 2yrs after I replaced my pump after hard line had a leak. The whine has ceased and with a clean reservoir it's been running fine since.

Old 11-06-2023, 06:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 852 Likes on 620 Posts

This a something of an aside, but I have always scratched my head about the maintenance schedule recommendation to replace the power steering reservoir at 150,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Reservoir?? What to do when need to replace and can't find one?