Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering stopped working

Purchased 99 Disco II with 90k on it about a month ago. After about $4k in repairs(head gaskets, water pump, air springs, etc.) I'd hoped I'd be done for awhile(haha). Besides the check engine light indicating misfire at bank 5(Magnecor 8mm on order) a whine from the belt area appeared. While on the way to pick up the new belt, the whining stopped, as did my power steering. I am planning to follow Disco Mike's 60k service. In this situation, is it worth trying to flush the PS, or is my pump already likely toasted? Does the ACE suspension have to be flushed seperate from the PS? As previously stated, I'm new to the Rovers and learning the hard way. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Power steering stopped working

Are you out of PS fluid?
If the system is empty fill it and see if it still works.
And yes, the ACE system is seperate from the PS system.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with Spike. You will only be out a few bucks....

Old 02-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the fast response fellas. I knew Rovers were high maintenance, but had no clue it would be this rough. I'm also learning I grossly overpaid for this truck, (fully loaded 99 SE-7 minus disc changer for $75000, ugh)adding to my frustration. There is fluid in the reservoir(looks very old), so I will attempt the flush when I return home from SLC tomorrow. Is there a similar procedure for the ACE? I also experienced a bizaare episode when retrieving my truck from the airport after 5 very cold days. I tried the key fob to unlock the doors and got nothing. Tried the key in the door, and it turned but did nothing, at which time I realised some one had tried to break in(pry marks on keyhole.) I figured my battery was too dead to unlock, so I used a piece of wire to yank the hood cable, popping my hood at which time the alarm went off. The fob then worked, unlocking the doors. Of course, it then started right up. Was this caused by the anti-theft? If so, how do I negate it if this should happen again in the future. Thanks again to any and all who help!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It went into what is called "super lock". I am not sure of how to get out of it, but there are posts on here, I am sure. Try searching for it.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Shout if you need any help flushing the P/S and ACE.
Mike

Old 02-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

SUper lock disables everything.
Basically the truck is dead, the clock, stereo etc retain memory, but the rest of the truck is dead.
I believe but cannot conferm that if you use the key in the drivers door and turn it to unlock the door and hold it there for 5 secs the truck will then come out of super lock.
Do the same when you lock it to put it into super lock, lock it with the key and hold it locked for 5 seconds.
Do not use super lock if you can help it. If it is super locked and the battery goes completly dead you will be paying a tow truck to take it to the dealer.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Overlanding

OK, just siphoned the fluid out of the P/S res twice, working the wheel back and forth between each, with no luck. There is very little fluid movement in the P/S res, as opposed to the ACE, which clearly is pumping.If I goose the gas a little, the pump seems to groan, not unlike the sound a pump makes when you crank the wheel all the way until the stop. Is it safe to say the pump is shot? Thank you all again for your replies, its a wonderful thing you're doing, and I'm very grateful. I hope I can get this thing going soon, 'cause I just love driving this truck!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

I would say your pump is toast.
www.roverlandparts.com has good used ones.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Overlanding

Thank You.

Quick Reply: Power steering stopped working