Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powerfold mirrors / Headlamp Leveling Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerfold mirrors / Headlamp Leveling Anyone?

Anyone added powerfold mirrors or Headlamp Leveling?

I grew tired of stopping and reaching over to fold in the mirror when people park a foot from the curb some time ago, so I quit. The downside is that mirror glass is getting expensive.

From my research it seems necessary parts are:
1) Mirror ECU
2) Mirrors- Duh
3) Mirror Switch
4) Possible additional leads to/from mirrors; switch; ECU (which lives behind the glovebox)

As for headlamp leveling, I just think that would be fun to have. Parts:
1) European LHD spec lights W/ leveling
2) Switch
3) Wiring Harness(s) - Cant find any info on RAVE or Microcat for this one and I don't think the same ones are used. Hope I'm wrong.

Why does the US market always get shafted when it comes to these features?

If anyone has experience adding these features please fill me in with any pertinent details.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 AM
4wd Low
Default Success?

You posted a response to my post on my block replacement and rocker arm rebuild. I saw in your signature tag that you have leveling euro headlamps and powerfold mirrors. So, I searched the forum to find additional info. This original post on the topic is all that came up. Was it a big hassle to accomplish? Worth the effort? Care to share details? I have one side mirror that needs to be replaced and have really come to like the folding mirrors on my Avalanche. Also, a crack in each headlamp that would make for a good excuse to upgrade.

Thanks,
Ross

Old 01-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Oh wow, it's been forever ago. Really I did it just because. As far as the headlamp leveling is concerned it wasn't really worth it for the functionality I just wanted to do it. Anyway, here's what I remember:

Mirrors:
Parts needed are as above.
The door harnesses have the wiring in place for the powerfold. The powerfold mirror connector is hidden in the foam at the bottom of the existing mirror connector. I think I had to add a pin to the main harness side of the multi plug for the door harness. The pin is already in place at the switch but I think I had to add a pin to a connector further down the line to the ecu. I had about $975 in the mirror project. One of these days I'll get around to adding a relay to make them automatically fold when the ignition is turned off.

Headlamp Leveling:
The wiring for the motor is already in the headlamp harness and I think it was a blue/yellow wire. There is not a connector already in place for the leveling switch. I had to add the connector and then pins in other connectors to get the leveling signal from the switch to the headlamp wire and one for +12 and Ground. Also the leveling switch must be an 03-04 switch. At the time everything had to be purchased LR Genuine new and this project was outrageous @ a little over $2K. Prices on the headlamps have since come down to around the $450 mark so its a little better than it was.

I didn't find either project to be difficult it took more time than really was necessary but instead of just tapping into wires I added pins and fished wire so it's basically exactly like factory.

If you decide to give it a go and have any questions just let me know.

Old 06-13-2020, 11:18 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tee51397
Oh wow, it's been forever ago. Really I did it just because. As far as the headlamp leveling is concerned it wasn't really worth it for the functionality I just wanted to do it. Anyway, here's what I remember:

Mirrors:
Parts needed are as above.
The door harnesses have the wiring in place for the powerfold. The powerfold mirror connector is hidden in the foam at the bottom of the existing mirror connector. I think I had to add a pin to the main harness side of the multi plug for the door harness. The pin is already in place at the switch but I think I had to add a pin to a connector further down the line to the ecu. I had about $975 in the mirror project. One of these days I'll get around to adding a relay to make them automatically fold when the ignition is turned off.

Headlamp Leveling:
The wiring for the motor is already in the headlamp harness and I think it was a blue/yellow wire. There is not a connector already in place for the leveling switch. I had to add the connector and then pins in other connectors to get the leveling signal from the switch to the headlamp wire and one for +12 and Ground. Also the leveling switch must be an 03-04 switch. At the time everything had to be purchased LR Genuine new and this project was outrageous @ a little over $2K. Prices on the headlamps have since come down to around the $450 mark so its a little better than it was.

I didn't find either project to be difficult it took more time than really was necessary but instead of just tapping into wires I added pins and fished wire so it's basically exactly like factory.

If you decide to give it a go and have any questions just let me know.

Greetings
I'd like to connect with you personally regarding power folding mirrors and euro spec headlight conversion. Specifically I'd like to get some detailed instructions from you on how to put everything together and a parts list. Part numbers if possible and pictures if possible. Alternatively I'd be happy to pay you some cash to put together a kit for me. I'll purchase new euro spec headlights myself at a later date. Let me know what works for you. You can send me a private message and I'll be happy to send you my email and cell number so we can talk about the details!

Julian

Old 06-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

I checked my 2001 harness. It does not have the wiring for the powerfold ECU. Also, the power wires from the mirror terminate in the connector at bottom of A frame, so you have to add the wiring from there. You can get an aftermarket powerfold ecu off ebay, but have to wire it up. The powerfold switch wiring is in place at the switch connector, but you have to trace the wire from the switch to the steering wheel mount connector and go from there... not a difficult job.....