Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practical Reasons for 2" lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Practical Reasons for 2" lift?

Guys,

I only get off road for fun rarely. I'm going to be replacing my shocks and wonder if I should just do the 2" lift kit? I'm wondering what other practical reasons other than better clearance off road? I guess larger tire size, what else? If I'm 90% on road will I get any benefits?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know wreckdiver said his overall ride improved. I think you will gain on road by replacing the 10+ year old shocks no matter what

Old 03-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well shocks alone won't give you a lift. You could save about $250 and just buys shocks without new springs (for a lift). That will give better ride quality. If you lift without going to a bigger tire, it will look a little small wheeled and funny.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To answer your question, none.
There is zero benefit to installing a lift of any kind if you are not going to run oversized tires or need more ground clearance.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
To answer your question, none.
There is zero benefit to installing a lift of any kind if you are not going to run oversized tires or need more ground clearance.
It may discourage shorter people from riding in your truck, so there's that.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about that. A new suspension, especially if you're just running stock stuff now, will vastly improve the ride comfort. A medium duty kit seems the way to go for you.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
It may discourage shorter people from riding in your truck, so there's that.
Hey now! I'd take offense to that if I was offendable, I'm all of 5'5" and getting shorter by the year.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right, well I had planned to just do the shocks as they are the factory ones, I can get her bouncing pretty good just pushing on the bumpers so they are shot. It's only a couple hundred more for the 2" lift kit including all four shocks and springs:

Terrafirma 2" Lift Kit Discovery II

The install to swap out the springs is much more involved as I'm doing this myself. But not planing on over sized tires and not needing ground clearance, I guess I'll take the easy road and just do the four shocks. Do those springs really go that bad after 12 years?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Hey now! I'd take offense to that if I was offendable, I'm all of 5'5" and getting shorter by the year.
Well, I should have said vertically challenged people who don't appreciate jumping in a well appointed Rover. This would not apply here . I'm 5'11'' and have to give a little jump to get in mine.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Right, well I had planned to just do the shocks as they are the factory ones, I can get her bouncing pretty good just pushing on the bumpers so they are shot. It's only a couple hundred more for the 2" lift kit including all four shocks and springs:

Terrafirma 2" Lift Kit Discovery II

The install to swap out the springs is much more involved as I'm doing this myself. But not planing on over sized tires and not needing ground clearance, I guess I'll take the easy road and just do the four shocks. Do those springs really go that bad after 12 years?
Actually the spring change isn't much more involved. If I remember correctly, I had to take out the front springs to get the front shocks out. And as for the rear,those are pretty easy. Not sure how much a difference new springs would make compared to old springs and new shocks. Thing is though it will look a little off with 29'' stock tires.

Quick Reply: Practical Reasons for 2" lift?