Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Practical Reasons for 2" lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Right, well I had planned to just do the shocks as they are the factory ones, I can get her bouncing pretty good just pushing on the bumpers so they are shot. It's only a couple hundred more for the 2" lift kit including all four shocks and springs:

Terrafirma 2" Lift Kit Discovery II

The install to swap out the springs is much more involved as I'm doing this myself. But not planing on over sized tires and not needing ground clearance, I guess I'll take the easy road and just do the four shocks. Do those springs really go that bad after 12 years?
Yes, they can. My springs were shot. I believe a medium duty kit or light duty kit won't net you as much lift. You can go up to just a tad bigger tire and it won't look as weird. Oh, and the taller sidewall will give you a better ride. And there is not much more that you have to do to swap springs.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
Well, I should have said vertically challenged people who don't appreciate jumping in a well appointed Rover. This would not apply here . I'm 5'11'' and have to give a little jump to get in mine.
I have to jump up into mine and I have my original springs still!!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK Thanks guys. I guess I'll go with the 2" lift kit and just do it all, including new tires.

These seem to be pretty popular?

https://www.treadwright.com/p-40-265...dog-m-t-d.aspx

Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
OK Thanks guys. I guess I'll go with the 2" lift kit and just do it all, including new tires.

These seem to be pretty popular?

https://www.treadwright.com/p-40-265...dog-m-t-d.aspx
Ha, yea I run those with a 2''lift. I laugh because in a matter of a few posts you went from wanting a nicer ride for a basically all road rig to now lifting it with a set of near mud terrain tires. That's a large change, ha. If you get that, you will want to take it off road. If you are looking for a strictly street tire though, the guard dog is not it.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Rock Crawling

I've heard tons of good reviews on those tires. Sure is a good price. Depends on if you need/want the aggressive tread. Tread like that would give you more noise.

I think that would be a pretty decent size though.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling

If you're looking for a tread that's quiet on the road and delivers some pretty good traction when you need it, take a look at BF Goodrich's Rugged Terrains. Quiet as a mouse and the traction is really nice. Price is higher though, at $164/tire.

Other options are the Toyo Open Country AT, Cooper Discoverer AT3, or General Grabber AT2.

All good tires. My personal favorite is still the BFG. Best value is probably the Coopers.

Edit: Yep, the Coopers are $128/tire: http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/90000002688.html

Last edited by wreckdiver1321; 03-25-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I added a 2in OME medium duty lift on my 99 this past weekend and it drives SO much nicer. After 226,000 miles my stock front springs were toast. I am still running the stock 29 inch tires mainly because they are basically new. I was worried at first that it may look funny with stock tires, but it's really growing on me.

If it's your daily driver I would look more toward an all-terrain tire like wreckdiver mentioned. There are some very capable all-terrains that are quiet and smooth on the road. No need in a mud tire if you're just gonna "hum" all the tread off on the pavement.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

keep in mind, your old suspension is sagging a good 1.5 inch from new.

If you get "2 inch" lift springs, you are going to raise yourself 2 inches from the present height, not the original height, if I understand correctly.

That would be a net 0.5" above stock.

I changed out just the shocks and not the springs last fall and now am definitely noticing that the shocks are not fully compensating for the worn springs. You don't have to do the shocks and springs both at once but once you do one you will notice the deficiency in the other. I'll be doing my springs asap this spring btw, probably medium duty.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-25-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S
keep in mind, your old suspension is sagging a good 1.5 inch from new.

If you get "2 inch" lift springs, you are going to raise yourself 2 inches from the present height, not the original height, if I understand correctly.

That would be a net 0.5" above stock.

I changed out just the shocks and not the springs last fall and now am definitely noticing that the shocks are not fully compensating for the worn springs. You don't have to do the shocks and springs both at once but once you do one you will notice the deficiency in the other. I'll be doing my springs asap this spring btw, probably medium duty.
That's incorrect. It will raise him more than 2''. If he is sagging 1.5'' and gets a 2'' lift, then he will have 3.5'' of overall lift. Mine were sagging too, and I ended up with about 3'' of lift with 2'' lift springs.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up... I guess I might have to go for taller tires when I do the springs...

Quick Reply: Practical Reasons for 2" lift?