Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre off roading questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pre off roading questions

Ok so I have been doing some very easy (but very fun) off roading recently and I had a few questions before I step it up a little.

First: The front bumper, is it easy to take off and put back on? My guess would be no because I know the fog lights are connected down there and whatever else. But let me know what you think! I am a good driver, but mechanically I am nowhere close!

And: The auto lift button (i'm not sure of the official name!!) how much does it raise the truck and how exactly does it work? Input for both of these questions would be great! I know they are crazy but I'm sure someone on here has answers/recommendations!

THANKS!
Cameron.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: Pre off roading questions

If you have p;ans to do much wheeling you will need to make some changes, a small lift, get rid of those tires and wheels. The front bumper you have will get torn off, if you plan to play off the road, remove it and sell it putting that money toward a metal bumper.
The SLS button will raise the rear of you truck about 2"s, it is explaind in detail in your owners manual.
Mike

Old 05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
TReK

How much does it generaly cost to get a lift? I am not going to do anything to crazy but I dont want to hurt the car. How will the wheels and tires hold up? And like I said is there any way I can save the front buumper, like is it easy to take off and put back on? I not going to lie, I kind of like the way it looks ON-Road, but I know it will be ruined off-raod.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

My biggest concern for you is what I percieve to be your lack of experience off the road.
You need to realize that just driving on dirt roads is fine but when you go on trail, your 18" street tires will take a beating, they usually have traction issues as well as very weak side walls and are prone to getting side wll punctures.
As for the front bumper, a 2" lift will give it a little more protection but if you get to playing hard you can tear the bumper off. Trying to remove it is a pain in the *** and then your crush cans are left out there to be hit.
See if you can find a few people with Rovers and go out wheeling, watch what they do and slowly start making changes as you decide the type of wheel and modifications you need.
Good luck,
Mike

Old 05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
TReK

Ok thanks. There is a closed golf course near my house I have been going to with friends to learn basic things like ditch crossing, getting over hard spots, working all the gears and etc. Actually today I had the honor of pulling a jeep out of a muddy ditch. Like you said, I am am slowly moving my way up because I know how much damage I could do if I mess up. But its quite an investment to get all those things done so I will have to look into it.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you're not likely to find this problem on a golf course - watch your sidewalls!

The thinnest and weakest part of your tire is the sidewall - a small limb/stump/rock with just the right shape will put a hole in it: You'll think you're going over it, then it rolls a bit and puts a hole in the side.

So far I've been careful and have kept my 18" wheels without a problem. If you go with off road tires look at the information on the sidewall to show 3 plies in the sidewall: As far as I know BF Goodrich and Good Year are the only people that make 3 ply sidewalls.

And so you know: 3 plies is heavier and will reduce your gas mileage and acceleration. 1 lb of unsprung weight is worth 4 lbs of sprung weight.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Mudding

Ha Bumper getting in the way?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:18 AM
TReK

Ok thanks for all this info! I will check to see what plies my tires are, I have newtoyo tires so I will have to see how capable they are. Again thanks for all the input.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Mudding

what are you looking into spending?

Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
TReK

The least amount possible!! I talked to you over email today so like I said I am not doing any mountain climbing or anything, but i think i might check out getting a lift and saving up for some new tires, but the lift will come first.

Quick Reply: Pre off roading questions