Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred Disco Model Year

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bosshogt
I have a 2003 HSE and have done about every preventative maintenance measure possible. I installed an oil pressure guauge as my VIN number resides in the failure range. I have owned it from September 2007. It has never let me down and been extremely reliable.
Now that maintenance is up to date I have added a steel front bumper, rear bumper, hard Labor creek tire carrier and sliders. The air suspension is cool and has been reliable. You will find that only on the HSE and SE models. The ability to raise the rear 3 inches to increase your exit angle off-roading has come in handy multiple times. I have a OME 2" lift with nitro OME shocks. I will install the CDL(center diff lock) upgrade this fall. But I have not gotten stuck yet, though I tend to avoid muddy trails. You can find a lot of my write ups by searching bosshogt.

All I'm saying is dont be afraid to buy a 2003, you can get a great deal by haggling on the price. Maintence records for Rovers are worth their wieght in gold. Also 5000 mile oil changes are equally important. If the oil pump has not died at 60,0000 it will probably be fine. Although I would replace the oil pump gears at about 100,000 miles because the outer gear tends to hair line crank from normal use. You can search two recent posts of people replacing the gear. One is a 2004, not in the death range. Its about $100 from Brit parts of Utah. Its also a great time to switch out your coolant from Dex-Cool to Peak global lifetime. And check the looseness of your timing chain. My Rover is in great shape at 101068 miles and I am about to do the oil pump as preventive maintenance. Thru your research you will want replace the front drive shaft as your first item on the list. You can have it rebuilt with greasable U-Joints for about $300 from any good drive line shop.
Sorry for the long post, but I think you would want some real life perspective from a 2003 owner.

I agree with bosshogt. Do not be afraid to pursue a late 03-04 Discovery model. So long as you study this forum, the rave and learn the ends and outs of the Disco and keep up with all the maintenance then you will enjoy your Discovery for many years to come. In my opinion the late 03-04 Discovery models are the perfect combination of classic and modern styling and engineering thus creating a legendary machine. Yes they are slow and yes they are certainly bad on gas - but again there's always a catch with any vehicle. Regarding the front pro-shaft again I absolutely agree with bosshogt. Replacing or rebuilding the shaft should be your first priority. The consequence of not doing this may result in a broken prop-shaft and a hole in your transfer case - to say the least. However I tend to disagree with bosshogt regarding the best decision (rebuild or replace the front prop-shaft). If your going to spend $300 just to have a used poor design prop-shaft rebuilt then you might as well just forget that and spend $315 and replace the entire shaft with a new aftermarket fully greaseable shaft which will correct the issue all together. I just purchased a replacement aftermarket shaft myself - it comes complete with 3 u-joints already installed, balanced and greased and is ready to go. Just need to buy new nuts and bolts. Heres a link to a good buy on ebay.

Land Rover Discovery CV Front Drive Shaft ('99-'04) | eBay

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes I agree with TRIARII,
I had my driveshaft rebuilt about 2 years ago. And knew much less than I do now. For $300 I would just put it towards a Tom Woods. Cool green looking and they seem to be heavy duty from all that people review on them. I have heard some people have have vibration problems at 70mph. But, that could be quickly fixed with some tack on balancers at any good drive line shop.

Also, I would add when the time comes you seem to get vibrations from the Roto-Flex (rubber donut) on the rear coupling drive shaft. I would replace it with full kit from Great Basin Rovers. I did this last Winter. I have a new rear drive shaft, now a 4-bolt pinion connection, as they differ from 02/03 Smooth no vibes. It is a fully grease-able drive-shaft

Old 10-08-2011, 02:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does the Traction control disengage with the center diff lock activated or does it still function?

Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by elrocha69
Does the Traction control disengage with the center diff lock activated or does it still function?
For 99-04 modles TC is active at all times with the CDL Locked or unlocked.
It is not functioning when the 3 amigos are lit. Meaning. ABS, hill decent, TC light are steady lit. None of those features work. Also DI's do not have TC just DII's

Last edited by bosshogt; 10-08-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If a 99-03 D2 has been retrofitted with the ability to engage CDL (not applicable to 2004) :

If CDL is engaged while the ignition key is on, your ABS, TC, and HDC will function normally. Unless you disengage the CDL before turning off the key, the next time you turn the key on (CDL still engaged) you will get the ABS, TC, and HDC lights. The ABS and HDC will work at a reduced rate, and the TC is inoperable. This can be solved either by cutting a wire going to the SLABS computer, or by remembering to disengage the CDL before you shut the vehicle off.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
First off, WELCOME.

Secondly, 2002 is by far the best year....all other years are complete crap

Your question comes up quite frequently, I trust you have read these?....

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...scovery-21328/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-2003-a-40706/
For those of us who don't know what you know, why are 02's the best and the rest are crap?
This should make for great reading for us.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
For those of us who don't know what you know, why are 02's the best and the rest are crap?
This should make for great reading for us.
:cough: He was joking :cough: