Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

Hi all,

I'm in the process of prepping my newly purchased DII (98k miles) for a 12 onroad + 4-6 hours off road run into baja. The off road ranges from really crappy washboard gravel roads with whoopty dos and the odd soccer ball sized rock to smooth hard packed salt flats. I'm wandering what experience you guys have that might help me on that drive.

Tires:
My dealer told me that with the traction control, I wouldn't need to air the tires down much. I've only had it in really loose sand, but I didn't need to air down then. I'm running Michelin cross terrain 255/75/16s, he inspected and said he runs them, and they'll be fine.

I've had the truck in the shop for a 140 point inspection at the local landrover dealer. Shop owner was great, and has plenty of offroad experience. He took me around my truck and pointed out all the problem spots, then we went through the mission critical points. We decided on a new rear diff, left rear axel hub, changed the timing cover seal, a plastic pully etc.

Remaining issues due to my budget...
Transfer case is leaking and needs to be resealed. Plan to check fluid while there and top off if needed.
Radiator has a slight discoloration off the right hand side, so it's leaking a bit, but not really dripping.
Slight Throttle body seal leak. didn't fix due to budget, but i'll take a kit with me in case.

SPARES
Parts are impossible to get in Baja. What parts would you guys recommend as spares? My list so far:

Coolant, Oil, gear oil, transfer case oil, etc. Still researching what to get for those.
Serpentine belt
hose repair kit
Fuel Dry additive to take the water out of fuel. Recommended by Mech.
Throttle body seal and hoses.

Tools
Anything special I should bring with beyond the normal socket set, wrenches, and drivers?
Added: 28mm socket, and a breaker bar, for removing the chrome lugs

Thanks! Sorry for the long post!

Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

Get a diff guard and a skid plate to protect the steering crossrod.

The tires you have are ok for sand but the sidewalls are a little weak for rocks, so more rims and tires.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Having run thaty area many times, the first thing you need to do is have your front drive shaft rebuilt to replace the 2 non servicable u-joint in the double cardon where it attaches to the t/case. If you don't have 4 grease fittings on the front drive shaft you can and will loose the drive shaft and can take the tranny with it.
Do the coolant leak and the radiator before you even think about heading out.
Buy Mexican auto insurance thru an American auto insurance broker for sure.
How many miles on your truck? Do all the fluid changes before you take this trip.
You will want to air down, crazy not to, so take an air pump.
Also, start reading up and the t/case you have in your truck and the CDL feature for extra traction.

What I have mentioned is just for starters, there are so many more things that should be done and if money is tight, I would wait on the trip till you do the really important stuff lie replacing your suspension and steering stabilizer, install some diff guards and have your CDL set up and replace your plug wires, if you still have the old grey wires with a set of 8mm Magnacor wires.
Also inspect and replace the rear roto flex on the rear drive shaft if it is showing any cracks.
Take plenty of fuel additive.
Thjis may blow your budget, but there is nothing more costly then braking down in Mexico.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Mudding

Mike, 98k

Drive shaft replaced already.
Baja Insurance is always a must.
Inspected roto, didn't see any cracks.
Recent oil, changed diff and tcase fluid.
I'll check on the plugs and wires. Think that was done in the 90k.

Lanzu - I'd love those extra protection items and will be adding them but not before this trip due to budget.

Radiator is bugging me. Think I'll pick up the used 2003 he has and put that in before I leave. Is that a big job? I've done it in a chevy before.

I've read about the CDL, but I'm not doing anything like hills or rock climbing. As you know these roads are nothing a 2wd can't do, you just run them at 45mph+ so you get there quicker. Is the CDL really needed? Does it add that much traction?

Adding Fuel Conditioner to parts. What brand do you like Mike?

How far do you air the tires down?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense, but if you have to take your rover to the dealership for service work maybe a 6 hour desert crossing isn't a good idea.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Mudding

Actually, I'm going to take a offense to that. [:@]

What's smarter, a guy poking around a car he's had for a month hoping to spot all the problems that could hang him up on a trip like this, or taking it to the expert?
What's smarter, a guy changing a diff for the first time, then heading into the desert on it, or the guy who gets the expert to do it.

I'm stoked for you that you spend allot of time wrenching on your LR, but I'm not going to cower at home because I've never changed a diff.

I mean, I build websites for a living, but you won't catch me telling you not to post asinine comments on land rover forums unless you've built your BBS.

Heh.

Thanks for the help Mike and Landzu.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:41 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just take it slower in the rocks and have fun.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi,

I think there is a "small" element of scare mongering going on here, if you want the ultimate off road truck, then the budget will be HUGE and never ending. These Discoverys are superb in standard form out the factory, yes offcourse stuff can be added to protect / help and improve it. But to do it ALL at once is just crazy and not affordable by most people.

For me persoanlly, I would suggest you do fix any coolant leaks etc etc, but the other stuff is down to budget. If your truck is running well , you will enjoy it and have fun, if you dont have protection underneath, then you must be more careful which route you choose etc, but thats not to say it impassable by a standard vehicle.

If you have the funds, then a steering guard in my opinion would be the best / first purchase to make as that is a known area that can be damaged due to the design of the truck and where it is. Diff guards if your on rocky trails is def worthwhile investment, and they are not to costly to do, so adding them to may be a good idea, it all adds up to a little more "confidence" when off road

As far as adding a CDL, yes it makes it MUCH better, but the TC system is very good as well tho. This will all depend on what year your truck is as to whether or not it has the stuff already in there to connect it up, if it does not, then the budget gets bigger again.

Are you going on your own ? or others with you ?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

rrhyne, I see no fault with your logic IF you plan to take that expert on the trip with you. I am far from a LR expert. I'm a real estate agent and have only owned my first disco for a few weeks now. I'm here to gain knowledge on my vehicle and in the course I expect some criticism. If you are that thin skinned you might want to stock up on 50 SPF..it gets hot out there in the desert while you're trying to beat a busted U-joint out of the yoke.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you make it sound like the U joints fail 100% all the time, which is not the case.......

Quick Reply: Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards