Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

Urban, I just used U-joints as an example out of a thousand parts that can fail. U-joints popped in my head first because every other post on here is a suggestion to replace factory U-joints with greasable U-joints. This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask. U-joints fail, greasable U-joints fail, $150 CTM U-joints fail..if a disco U-joint failure causes thosands in damage wouldn't it be a good idea to try and mitigate that damage by installing a heavy duty transmission pan or some kind of scatter plate?

Old 06-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, I undertsand the point you made ref the U-joints, and yes they do fail. But from what I read on here it seems that anyone who asks about them they are told replace em or they will fail, which is not strictly true, yes they CAN fail, but out of the 1000's of Discos that are sold worldwide, I wonder what the actual percentage really is.

Replacing them with greasable ones on the "hookes joint" is def a good idea, and preventitve maintenance is always better, it still amazes me that Land Rover made it like that in the first place. For someone venturing off road like this topic is about, unless the factory UJ's are worn out , then there is nothing concreteto suggest they will fail just because he / she goes off road.

As far as some kind of protection / scatterplate, well maybe your on to something there , design and market one

Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

rrhyne, I see no fault with your logic IF you plan to take that expert on the trip with you. I am far from a LR expert. I'm a real estate agent and have only owned my first disco for a few weeks now. I'm here to gain knowledge on my vehicle and in the course I expect some criticism. If you are that thin skinned you might want to stock up on 50 SPF..it gets hot out there in the desert while you're trying to beat a busted U-joint out of the yoke.

I bought mine specifically for this trip, because they are known as rock solid off road vehicles. I didn't buy it to drive around suburbia. I am interested in learning as much about it as I can, (that's why I'm posting) to minimize problems on or off the road.

Bottom line though, is I'm going where others don't because they won't be there.

If you don't mind, I'd prefer you didn't hijack this tread any further.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:52 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrhyne
If you don't mind, I'd prefer you didn't hijack this tread any further.
No problem. Good luck with the trip, you're going to need it with your attitude.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Mudding

*SIGH.* Really bummed this thread turned into a train wreck.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:41 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Dude, dont worry about some of the other posts on here, they are clearly just trying to be tough with the keyboard. Beyond the tech stuff... Are you going with anyone else? or just in one truck? If you are going by yourself you need to have a way to contact emergency/mechanical/ect help near the area. ANd in some places in baja its a dead zone so a cell phone wont cut it. There are some powerful radios out there that you might want to look into.

I would never recommend doing any type of off road without another truck with you, but you gotta do what ya gotta do. I had buddy go out to baja in 2002 and he had weak tires (not say yours are but...) Be blew out 2, and he is a really good driver. Now all he runs is the strongest sides walls he can find (He runs Mickey Thompson Baja Claws now). He was very lucky to have the regular spare with him, and a tire on top of the truck or he would have been stranded.

And obviously you know to bring extra water, and a little food, blah blah. But the #1 priority is to have fun doing what a rover is meant to do! Good luck, takes pics if you can!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Mudding

Hehe. I'm not that thin skinned, just want to have a good rep here, help where I can and get good help.

No other trucks are with us, unfortunately. I've driven the road once, and am going with a guy who's done the roads 100 times, knows lots of people in the towns and speaks fluent Spanish. We call him the Baja He-Man. HEH.

Food and water is a must.

Can you get a 20-30 mile range on those hand held CBs? Prolly not.

Tires will be another Upgrade I'll do later in the summer. These are pretty good, better than we went down with last year, and have about 10, 15k on them. Spare is brand new.

I've added a 28mm socket, and a breaker bar. My mech. said sometimes when they pull the chrome lugs, they screw them up and the 27 that comes with the truck won't fit. That'd be fun.

I'll be sure to post some pics when we make it back.

--rob

Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coolant leak is the#1 priorty in my mind.Hoses and belts then.

You would not catch me heading out across a desert with any kind of coolant leak no matter how small, if i had a choice.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Mudding

Polar, you and Mike and Panzer are all spot on. Overheating that engine shoulds really really bad.

I've got a used 2004 radiator with with 6k miles on it in the back of my truck right now, just bought it from the LR shop. I'm either putting it in this afternoon, or paying my traveling mechanic to do it for me. If I do it, it'll cost me 40 more bucks, just cause I've got stuff to work on before I leave and his hourly rate is less than mine. It'd be worth it to know more about my truck, but I'm slammed trying to get out of town!

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

x2 on the tires, take at least two spares. Also take a tow strap. You can also rent a satillite phone for less than $100 for the week (Cheap insurance). It will work anywhere you are traveling in Baja. Sounds like you are headed to Scorpion Bay. As for the washboards, if you slow down a bit, you will save a bundle on parts that don't break, including your back. Have fun!

Phil
LJ Discovery
1999 Discovery I

Quick Reply: Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards