Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Preping my 99 DII for 4 hours of baja washboards

ORIGINAL: rrhyne

Mike, 98k

Drive shaft replaced already.
Baja Insurance is always a must.
Inspected roto, didn't see any cracks.
Recent oil, changed diff and tcase fluid.
I'll check on the plugs and wires. Think that was done in the 90k.

Lanzu - I'd love those extra protection items and will be adding them but not before this trip due to budget.

Radiator is bugging me. Think I'll pick up the used 2003 he has and put that in before I leave. Is that a big job? I've done it in a chevy before.

I've read about the CDL, but I'm not doing anything like hills or rock climbing. As you know these roads are nothing a 2wd can't do, you just run them at 45mph+ so you get there quicker. Is the CDL really needed? Does it add that much traction?

Adding Fuel Conditioner to parts. What brand do you like Mike?

How far do you air the tires down?
If you are still running the factory wire, you will start throwing some codes.
Work on learningh about the CDL, if you have a drive line and don't know how to engage it, you will be stranded.
Do any and all coolant issues, Mexico is no place to over heat.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

That throttle body coolant leak is a $20 fix.
Replace the radiator if it is leaking.
Your tires will be fine, you have a spare and if you need to you can run on a flat tire.
Becareful of the line of travel that you choose, get out and walk ahead several yards if you need to. You dont need underarmor unless you are rockcrawling or blazing a trail in the woods.
Bring a fox-hole shovel and a machet. You can get both at the Army surplus store for around $20. Also bring a recovery strap, your trk weighs 6,000lbs, so you need a 9,000lbs strap, minimum.
Just like UrbanPanzer said, these are the most capable off-road trk you can get from the factory.
Bring duct tape, radiator hoses can be fixed with it in a pinch, as well as other things.
Dont worry about the diff fluid, if you need to add it then you have a much bigger problem, like a cracked diff or t-case. Save the room for drinking water.
Dont bring coolant, bring water, if you need to add coolant you can add water, but you cant drink coolant.
A good 12v air compressor is a must. Extra fuses. You can get a fuse assortment from Wal-Mart for cheap.
Bring 4 quarts of motor oil, it is going to be hot and you will use more oil than normal. Change it right before you leave.
Buy a new airfilter and put the old one in the box and bring it with you.
Make sure that your tire tool will fit your lug nuts. Strange thing about LR's, if the tires are put on with a impact wrench your tire tool will not fit the lug nuts and you will never get the tire off the trk. So check ALL of them before you go. And make sure that the nuts that hold your spare tire on the rack are not rusted to the studs. And check the spare tire for PSI, you should check your spare for PSI every 6 months.
Take your time, have fun and bring lots of drinking water. And your camera.
I'm trying to think of what esle you may need, basic tools, a flashlight and extra batteries. Water, did I mention water?
If I think of something elseI will post it. Cash, bring cash, you may need to bribe somebody.
If you break down all you need to do is get back to civilization, so things that you wouldnt normally do to fix your trk are ok to do to get to safety.
And a MUST before you go,rent The Gods Must BeCrazy.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"And a MUST before you go,rent The Gods Must BeCrazy."

Then don't forget your bottle of Coke too!!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is building to a great list guys. Thanks for all the time you took to compile it.

I got the radiator fixed today. Plan to drive it a bit tomorrow and watch it like a hawk for leaks before I go on Friday.

ORIGINAL: Spike555
If you break down all you need to do is get back to civilization, so things that you wouldnt normally do to fix your trk are ok to do to get to safety.

Funny thing about that Spike. Last year we went down in a 99 ford exploder. Halfway, the EGR melted. The Baja He-man went back 2 hours to the biggest town to find a new one. Little did he know, it was Mexican Independance day. After a night in a roach motel, he befriended a mechanic who didn't have the part and the guy drove him around till he found something. When he came back, it was with a guy in a green caddy, who apparently makes the trip from cabo to the boarder, walks across and goes to his cousins in LA twice a month. I'll let you guess what that guys job was.

My eyes nearly popped out out of my head when he showed me the part he found. It was off a 95 ford taurus. The original EGR had a circuit board in it and here is this thing from 4 years previous, twice as big and made of aluminum, not plastic. I was flabbergasted. I protested, but what could I do? I had to try it, so we put it on the truck. It didn't fit, so I wired it in place. Unbelievably, it freaking worked. Apparently the only improvement ford made in 4 years was to make it out of plastic, which melts.

So yeah, we did some things we normally wouldn't do to fix it.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

RE: CDL you said... "if you have a drive line and don't know how to engage it"

Do you mean some time of a drive line failure? What would the failure be that engaging the CDL would fix?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Mike is saying if you have a driveline failure, and don't know how to engage the CDL, you will be stranded. Some people do this when getting the front drive shaft re-built too. You can remove one of the drive shafts, lock the CDL, and still drive with the remaining drive shaft. If you don't have the ability to lock the CDL from the shifter, use a 10mm wrench to manually lock it on the t-case.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:10 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You took a Ford Exploder last year!!!!!!!

Then the only thing you will need for the Disco is gas.