Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

preventative stuf, learning, and this forum

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preventative stuf, learning, and this forum

About a month ago I bought a 2002 discovery in really nice shape. It was a suburbian grocery and dog hauler with light use and good maintenance. At 97K it got a 67K 02 engine. It has 120K now.

I have rebuilt the front drive shaft on my own with help and pictures on this forum with no issues. I liked that beer was included in the supplies list to make this job tolerable.

I bought an ultraguage and have found that hiway temps are 194-204, around town will go up to 208 and after idling at a long light I will hit 212. It will read 217 only when restarting it shortly after turning it off at 210-212.

I didn't even know what an ultragauge was until reading through this forum. Now I feel I've invested in some major preventative measures. Since it appears that my current cooling system is in working order (again, knowledge gained from this forum), I feel I can safely upgrade to a 180 thermostat. An autorad should get here Thursday. I figured this would be another good preventative upgrade - especially since there seems to be a small leak from the current thermostat housing or where the hoses connect.

So this post is essentially a general "thank you" for all the knowledge contained in this forum and to those who contribute to it. It leaves me wondering what we did before online forums such as this. Owners of specialty vehicles with a cult following such as the land rover were at the mercies of dealerships and less than honest independent mechanics.

In the future, I may have to rebuild the abs module (really good instruction contained on this forum) since the three amigos make rare, temporary appearances. And if I ever have to do the gaskets, I feel confident that I will be able to with the help and information on this forum.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Welcome aboard! Great place to learn, and you will be surprised how fast you will be sharing tips and secrets you learn as well

Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Agreed!

I second this thank you! I don't know much about cars and have never done my own repairs, but all of that changed when I purchased my 2003 Disco II last year. With the help of the forums I have done the brakes and rotors, changed the transmission fluid, flushed my coolant, installed trailer lights, replaced a speed sensor, done some minor repairs, and saved a ton of money.

Thanks to everyone who puts time into this.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the cult!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

For true cult membership to be recognized by the Rover gods you must burn some meat on an open fire with beverages that exceed the alcohol content of our gasoline.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

when you replace you're own head gaskets is when the membership pin will arrive in the mail.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
when you replace you're own head gaskets is when the membership pin will arrive in the mail.
how about if i bought the headgaskets and keep them secure in my garage.

that's kinda a high barrier.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM
Overlanding

Could not agree more with the OP. I wouldn't have even considered a Land Rover were it not for the wealth of knowledge and experience available here. (Since I don't have any of the usual "wealth" that LR dealers expect me to have!)

I was reading this site, LRO and DiscoWeb daily for at least six months before finally deciding to sell my Jeep and buy a Discovery.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who shares their knowledge and helps LR noobs like me make the transition!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
Wait, theres a pin? I want one! Ive done two sets of head gaskets now!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Wait, theres a pin? I want one! Ive done two sets of head gaskets now!
doesn't count if you did it twice on the same vehicle....