Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing rust at back side doors...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventing rust at back side doors...

Luckily mine was painted a year before I bought it..but I see this area rusting on a lot of D1s. Is there somethiong I can do to prevent this from happening to mine? I keep it clean and waxed but I was afraid there may be another issue that needs to be addressed. Here's a photo of a rusted door jam in case no one knows what I am talking about..

Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Preventing rust at back side doors...

My '97 is doing that too, I just bought some touch up paint, cleaned the area and brushed on the new paint.
Let it dry and repeat. Did several coats and will put a new coat of paint on every spring.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

My '97 is doing that too, I just bought some touch up paint, cleaned the area and brushed on the new paint.
Let it dry and repeat. Did several coats and will put a new coat of paint on every spring.
Mines not doing it...but I don't want it to get to that point..have you seen any way to prevent it?

Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Team Owner

No I do not know how to prevent it. I guess just keep waxing it and if it starts to rust just paint it.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Paint alone won't prevent it from rusting like shown on the picture. I've done bodywork and restorations for years, and living in WI ya see a lot rust like this on vehicles eventually. Ya really have to be proactiveLONG before the rusting starts to prevent something like that.If ya live in northernregions, best to getyour vehicle undercoated (professionally), when newer ...where they will drill a hole in the rocker and spray some goo in there. Short of that, squirting oil on the area periodically, and inside that region from the back-side is also very effective. It's something anyone can do at little to no cost. The oil will eventually seep around. After a few days, wipe theoil off the outersurfaceto prevent getting it on your clothes.If ya wait until it gets as bad as the picture, the only long-term fix is to completely cut the rusty metal out andweld in new.

After I bought our Land Rover, I spent some time looking around and underneath it. Putting on my bodyman's hat and looking at it in terms of future rust areas, I wasdisappointed with the design and construction. For example, there is almost no seam sealerused on seams whereother vehicles haveapplied it for decades. The seams are completely open for moisture to seep in. Underneath, especially back by the rear bumper, where corrosion is often the worst,the body construction design leaves many areas completely open to capture mud, snow and road salt. The construction design is really poor in my opinion. What I would recommend is, if you live in a northern climate, and want to prevent rusting, spray some oilaround therear bumper areas. Ya can get a cheap Harbor Freight car wash air wand (uses air pressure and also has a watersuction tube) use oilinstead of water. If ya need to, thin the oil down. Also squirt some oil into the door bottoms. I've done this on my cars and jeeps and it really does keep it from rusting. I chose not to drive my nice rust-free Land Rover in the road salt this winter.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Team Owner

The problem with spraying oil eveywhere is that it is, guess what, bad for the enviroment. You spray the insides of your doors and it leaks out onto the ground and gets into the streams and storm water as well as attracting dust and dirt to the inside of your doors.
Anywhere there is oil exposed it will collect dust and gum things up.
Under coat the bottom side and paint and wax the top side. Wash it once in awhile with a good undercarrage wash and dont worry about it. Lifes to short to sweat.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Check all your seals for surface leaks, power scrub the under carriage at least once a month if you are into mud and especially salt. Do a full body inspection with a good light, if you find any signs, go straight to a body shop for suggestions and repairs before it grows.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

The problem with spraying oil eveywhere is that it is, guess what, bad for the enviroment. You spray the insides of your doors and it leaks out onto the ground and gets into the streams and storm water as well as attracting dust and dirt to the inside of your doors.
Anywhere there is oil exposed it will collect dust and gum things up.
I'm wasn't talking about totally saturating the vehicle with oil, rather, apply a little in the doors and spray a light mist coat in known (or obvious) corrosion areas. Generally, hardly any drips onto the ground if appliedwisely. And, if it does look like it will drip onto the ground, ya, it should be prevented, or caught with a pan. As far as getting caked up with dust, that's a good thing herein northern climates, in fact, it's better that way as it keeps the moisture out and prevents the oil from migrating. In terms of environmental impact,Itotally agree, don't drive in streams with wet oil dripping from your vehicle (or leaks). But once the oil gets caked on, it's not likely to go anywhere.There is a whole argumentof conservation vs consumption. I think a lot of guys on this board fall into the conservationbin, that's why they enjoy doing the work to keep their older L/R's on the road. A little bit of oil, or undercoating (also made from oil, plus producing the can and shipping) applied to prevent corrosion willkeep your L/R on the road longer, which willpreventa whole heck of a lot more environmental damage caused by producing a brand new vehicle. But I agree that keeping as much oil as possible out of the ground is important.

Guys that live in southern areas have it easy. Vehicles up here can corrode in a few years to the point where they become unsafe to drive.