Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prime oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prime oil pump?

Ok..

Who has the Rover DONKEY award? I need it!

Got the pan back off after a few inappropriate words and discovered I left the gasket off the pickup tube. Replaced gasket, cussed some more andpromised not to work on truck at 4A.M. ever again!

Thanks again for all the support

Old 12-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you found it. I was waiting to see what you found before I proceeded on mine. Now that it is getting cold, It takes it about 3 seconds before the light turns off. I have been using WIX filters, and thought this may be the culprit. I put a new K&N on, and I think it is actually a little worse. I am going to pull the pan and clean everything and change the O-ring to see if it helps.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Mudding

HOLD THE SHOW!! Mine was user stupidity! My front cover sprung a leak which is why I had the pan off..naturally I cant resist taking crap apart so I took the sump off to make sure it was clean/clear. It was but I decided to forget the gasket cause I like to do things more than once!
Also, mine was not an o-ring, it was a metal coated flange type gasket I got at Atlantic British. I would check before you give up your daily driver!
Good luck.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Thanks for the note, but I have a couple more I can get around in if I need to. I also plan on just going to the dealer. They are great and give me prices on genuine parts that compete with ATB for not always genuine. I did a flush in the summer, but didn't drop the pan. Seemed ok, but now with the pump not getting a good shot, I am going to start with the pickup. No telling what kind of junk I have in there....

Old 12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Mudding

My pan was realatively free of sludge, but did a flush (after the pan off the second time). I was shocked by all the particulate that came loose and ended up in the pickup tube screen. The bottleI used directed me(high mileage) to be sure tocheck after use. Oil psi lightextinguishesnow on initial crank.
Have you had the pan off before?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 AM
Camel Trophy

never had it off. I am lazy.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Mudding

kinda a pain in the rear with the gasket sealer. I used "Right Stuff" in the black can. If you go that way make sure to clean the block and panreal well yadda yadda. The sealer needs to be put on the pan and just snug against the block. Allow to set overnight then go back and tighten. I have not tried the pan gaskets I have seen in the catalog, but didn't come with one and seems to work well this way.

Just drove the rover tonight for the first time in months! HAPPY HAPPY SOB!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: crownaviation

Ok..

Who has the Rover DONKEY award? I need it!

Got the pan back off after a few inappropriate words and discovered I left the gasket off the pickup tube. Replaced gasket, cussed some more andpromised not to work on truck at 4A.M. ever again!

Thanks again for all the support

LOL! I was up till 2am on Thursday night concocting the "apparatus" to run both an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and the stock warning light sender. These damn Rovers!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: crownaviation

My pan was realatively free of sludge, but did a flush (after the pan off the second time). I was shocked by all the particulate that came loose and ended up in the pickup tube screen. The bottleI used directed me(high mileage) to be sure tocheck after use. Oil psi lightextinguishesnow on initial crank.
Have you had the pan off before?
Yes I had mine off once. I used this gasket sealer especially used by Honda.Theyuse it specifically on their oil pans.It seems to set up pretty hard and tight so I went with it. My oil pan is leak tight. But you say you took your pan off a second time? Was this when you saw a lot of crud? I did a flush on mine, then removed the pan to clean the pick up tube. I've had my oil pressure light come on once for a few secondssince then but that was about three months ago. I stopped driving it (except forvery short trips close to home)until I was just now able to install the previously mentioned oil pressure gauge. I'm wondering if I need to pull the oil pan & clean the pick up screen again. Maybe I'm still getting crud filtering down the engine from the flush?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

never had it off. I am lazy.
It's not that hard. Just messy & dirty. Especially if like most rovers you've got leaks that have collected dirt. Expect oil & grease to cover all the up to your elbows LOL. But yeah if ain't broke don't fix it, right.

Quick Reply: Prime oil pump?