Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A primer for lifting Disco 2s

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Default A primer for lifting Disco 2s

Could y'all please explain to me the ABC's of lifting a Disco 2

1"
2"
3+ inches?

Kits?
Spacers?
Different driveshafts?
Different shocks?
Longer brake lines?
Other?

Old 10-03-2018, 04:23 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I think the rule of thumb around here has always been, you are good with just getting lifted springs and shocks up to 2". Anything over 2" and you should start to look into extended brake lines and radius arm correction. If you are going to disconnect the sway bars then even with a 2" lift id get extended brake lines and +2 shocks.

terrafirma and OME are popular lift kits around here. They come with different "duty" ratings. Heavy duty springs are if you plan to run with replacement steel bumpers, roof rack, winch, and other heavier than stock accessories. If you buy heavy load springs and don't need them (don't have heavy weight on your rig) you will have a very rough ride. I would stick with medium or regular load springs unless you really have a need for heavy.

underarmor like diff guards, rock rails, skid plates are also something to consider if you are lifting your truck to off-road and not just for looks.

With a lift people often want larger tires to make it look right. Keep that in mind as a new set of 5 can easily run over $1000 and easily become the most expensive part of lifting and building a rig for offroad. Larger tires are heavy and if you haven't upgraded your driveshaft, you should.

I might also add that the rotoflex on the rear driveshaft is a weak point and when you add a lift it makes it even more vulnerable to failures, in my opinion. Doing a D1 rear shaft conversion is a popular solution.

Last edited by R0VERGUY; 10-03-2018 at 04:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 05:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lift the Diso

Rover guy is exactly right!I have a 2 inch lift any thing higher and your asking for mega problems I learned the hard way.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

OK, neat. Thank you.

Can you do a step by step parts+labor process for a 2" lift, please?

Old 10-03-2018, 08:00 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
OK, neat. Thank you.

Can you do a step by step parts+labor process for a 2" lift, please?

there is tons and tons of videos on how to do this

look on Atlantic British website they have all lift kits and if you click on say 2 inch lift terrafirm springs kit etc there is usually a video of the guys showing you how to do it step by step by step instructions

Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 PM
Winching
Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

i agree with spraying the bolts down with pb blaster before , even several times throughout the week, I live in a salty winter environment so it was a big deal for me

Old 10-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Reply to parts labor costs on 2 inch lift

Dear sir,Watch the Atlantic British video on the lift it’s self.I bought the same set up from Atlantic British you can get the whole set up form them I went a step further make sure you buy the gold anadized front Shock towers and get the rear cones they offer because if you do serious off roading those cones will keep your springs from popping out on a serious gully’s or big rocks if seen the coils come out of the housing the cones will elmanate this and buy new top bushings for the coils for the old ones a brittle at best there’s a lot of different lifts out there like procomp but I prefer terrifiema I’ve had both and spend the extra money for the 2 inch Ss brake lines you won’t regret it.I did my whole lift in 2 days working on the front first because it’s more time consuming it will take you about 6 hours depending on your layout of tools Ext.and do the rear the next day the rear you have to take the rear brake pads assembly off it’s about the same time frame take your time and do spray the bolts with liquid wrench a day prior to when you begin it’s super easy to break the bolts last but not least it’s not a have to but AB sells a pair of gold anadized 3 0/0 degree stabilization front sway bars but there a real pain to put in when I had my shop I would do 2 to 3 lifts a week but I had air impact wrench’s and you can while you’re under there you can buy the complete polyurethane bushing kit it replaces All the rubber bushings I highly recommend doing this they come in med strength and stiff the ride is unbelievable it will ride very nicely and you will feel a since of stablation if you’re not really going to do off roads that much go with the medium grade and I don’t recommend doing These bushings unless you have impact air wrench’s they will take most off the day,This whole set up is really going to set you’re Rover apart from the rest if you do all of what I recommend the 3 degrees front bars are the only items you don’t have to do it’s not a have to but they set the cambers in the right position especially if your planning on running a bigger tire than a 33’ some guys wanted it done there costly but efficient and make your lift look assume!But to do all this is up to you and how far you want to take it.If money is no object do it all if money is a major matter just get the 2inch lift from terrafima,The Shock towers And The SS 2 inch’s brake lines and the top gaskets for the springs and call it good.You will have to go get a set of spring compressors it will make the job a lot easier and I recommend a 4 ton floor jack will come in handy and make sure you buy th front stabilizer Shock as well,If i told you what I charged to do this they won’t Be printed right away so I’ll put it This way 15 bills.If you need anything else or confused on anything Mail me back and I’ll walk you through it.But don’t worry about changing differential gears or longer drive shafts as long as you stay in the 2 inch range,Great basin makes a heavy duty drive shafts if you’re interested in this sort thing let me know it really all depends on what kind of off roading you will be doing if you can do the polyurethane bushings they will make all the difference in the world and AB sells these complete kits and get the medium stiff ride especially if you will spend half your time on the highway so that’s all I can think of just take your time and have patience and you will be fine Mail me if you need anything and good luck 👍 let me know what set up your going to go with I Love putting on lifts on Rovers the tallest I did was 6 inch on a 02 Discovery I had to modifie and weld special brackets existed steering shaft lifted front and rear bumpers and raise coolant hoses regear diff.cut out wheel wells for he was running a 38 inch tires Anyway I could talk all night about lifting there one of my favorites!

Old 10-03-2018, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

I've done 2inch MD/HD lifts and I've also done 2inch MD/HD lifts with 1inch spacers with zero issues. Longer brake lines, modified rear ABS cables, are important with the added flex, you can install a spacer on the front drive shaft to help with the added lift. I also recommend removing the brace under the front drive shaft to keep it from crashing into it while flexing or you can damage your front drive shaft.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Regarding the HD springs having a rough ride. I have HD TF springs and +2 shocks. My ride couldn't get any better. Ride quality has more to do with proper shock valving and travel than spring rates. All within reason of course.

With 3" of lift, I'm seriously considering castor corrected arms or bushings. I seem to be a bit darty on the highways and it does wander a bit. My rear brake lines were piano strings after the lift too. I'd recommend them for more reasons than just the extra slack as well. The extended sensors I've yet to install. Maybe if our favourite three buddies show up.

One other thing to have a good look at is the shock towers. If they're rotted around the chassis mount, replace them.

Other than that, there really isn't much to do to lift a disco. It's a straight forward install, should take a few hours and beers to get er done. Then enjoy

Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Lift Discovery 2

Twix,You Are right in many ways there is so many ways to lift these guys.I really don’t like the spacers way to lift but that’s fine for some that I found your still lifting I just rather thru trial and error the spacers is what causes the road walk if you will and I just prefer the heavy gauge TF coils comparison to the factories spring,Fox makes a really nice shock for the Discovery lifts but costly.I found that the polyurethane bushing far suppresses the rubber any day of the week and if lubrecated right will last the Rover.The speed sensors are barley long enough but I found And I’ve done it is apply axcel grease to the ends were the surface contacts the rotor and you won’t have the 3 friends show up they lack just a couple of fractions to make contact but the axcel grease keeps in contact all away around the rotors.The 3 degree front arms I found don’t do much unless you’re running a bigger tire than usual I really don’t think you’re going to get away with out road walking with the arms nor the poly bushings but These Rovers are built to run off road anyway so what’s the point it has it’s pros and cons like everything else it comes down simply what works best for you and your application any time you jack with These Rovers there’s plenty of room to do the unthinkable what one guy likes the other guy doesn’t like so finding the even fine line in design and changing it up out it’s specific application you will invite the gremlins in I really liked your thread we are one big community looking for one common goal to share and help each other out Land Rover men and women are a special breed!I am glade to be a part of Land Rover forms we are all full of information and trials and errors .

Quick Reply: A primer for lifting Disco 2s