Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Priorities!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priorities!

I recently picked up an '01 Disco II that is in need of some work. I have started doing a few things including replacing a shredded serpentine belt, cleaning some sensors, I'm working on clearing a few codes to get her to pass emissions.

I looked around here to see if there was any advice about what priority to begin checking things out. Priorities of things that may go wrong so I can start working on them and preventing any future issues.

Should I use one of the maintenance schedules or is there something I missed on here to use as a guide?

Ex. Head gaskets, electrical, tranny, suspension, etc.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlrover89
I recently picked up an '01 Disco II that is in need of some work. I have started doing a few things including replacing a shredded serpentine belt, cleaning some sensors, I'm working on clearing a few codes to get her to pass emissions.

I looked around here to see if there was any advice about what priority to begin checking things out. Priorities of things that may go wrong so I can start working on them and preventing any future issues.

Should I use one of the maintenance schedules or is there something I missed on here to use as a guide?

Thanks!
This first thing I did when I took mine out of five years' storage was replace the springs and shocks, and a parts rover (running) that I bought recently had the same issue. If you are going to really drive it I would check those and all of the ball joints in the front, the brakes, change all fluids and filters (including transmission) and then hit the codes.

A head gasket issue will definitely let you know when its time has come, but you can set that off forever I your truck stays cool and we'll lubricated.

I personally think you can tell a lot about how an engine is doing by just listening and pulling the valve covers. What you find there may tell you how well it has been maintained.

But I'm no expert. Experts will chime in.

The following users liked this post:
Atlrover89 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks!
Yes there is a guide at the top of this discovery 2 forum. Read it; "sticky: major service"

It has just about everything you need to do. It will keep you busy for a few months. Really the first thing I would do besides checking your ball/tie-rod joints and brake pads and fluid changes like Charlie advised, is plug in an OBD with live data and see what your coolant temperatures are at idle, city and highway driving. You need to keep it running cool or it can get away from you. After all of that is when I would start playing with fault codes

The following users liked this post:
Atlrover89 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't forget the front driveshaft, check it soon and either grease it or replace it with one that can be greased. When they go, they go with a lot of incidental and expensive damage. Also remember that the factory heat gauge is pretty much for looks only, think about adding another gauge, or a Little Black Box, Madman, or another aftermarket heat gauge. When the factory gauge hits HOT, the damage is already done.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

Here are the Priorities I used:
I bought a 2003 SE about 2 months ago to use to transport my German Shepherds. When I got the car I planned to bring it up to speed as a hobby while using it, so it running was important to me. I have prioritized based on keeping the car running between lessons and outings. I am finding that some jobs have to be re-addressed or re-done due to stripped bolts and such. Advice is to allow time for this and keep telling yourself “yeah this is a pain, but it’s done right this time”
This is my order and priority list subject to change if something breaks or becomes critical:
1) Safety check to make sure I could drive the car without being in danger. You will need to get under the car as well as remove wheels and open the hood. I found nothing that threw up any flags. Checked all five tires and filled to correct pressure, checked again in a week to see if there were any small leaks.
2) Take to car wash, best way to see if there are any leaks (sun roofs, windows and doors).
3) Changed the oil and filter. This is a good way to see if there is anything in the oil that should not be there (water, coolant or other issues).
4) Both air filters, easy cheap and a good idea.
5) Differential and transfer case fluids. I bought the kit from Atlantic British, made this easy and included plugs and fluid. Note to self, next time order the fill plug o-rings. One was not in good shape, these are cheap and I do not know why they did not come with the kit. I also cleaned all around so I could see if there were any leaks after driving for a while. I did find a small leak in the transfer case view plate. Will need to take this down and re-seal with RTV.
6) Transmission fluid and filter. Again, I bought the kit. Note to self, but the new bolts too. One snapped @ 8lbs. 13 years old $4.00 parts. Also found both Torx screws for filter stripped. I will need to do this job again to replace the filter and the bolts.
7) Adjusted parking brake. Easy cheap.
8) Lubricate U joints and drive shafts. Cheap and easy.
9) Flushed out steering fluid. Checked for leaks.
10) Cleaned up under motor to help see if there are any leaks and from where. This will help me prioritize what to do next.
Things I will be doing:
11) Found leak in valve covers, will replace gaskets. There are two other gaskets you will need for this job and replacing the oil separator is a good idea.
12) Replace belt and maybe the pulleys they look a bit worn, will know better when I can see.
13) I will check the front engine cover for leaks while working on valve covers, can’t really see but I suspect there is a small one from the oil I see.
14) Once I confirm there are no oil leaks or fix the leaks I have, replace the oil pan gasket and clean pan. Then change to synthetic oil. FYI, although I know there are leaks somewhere, I have not needed to add oil since I changed the oil.
15) Replace hoses and coolant T-sat and cap. Runs cool now with no issues but again 13 year old car.
16) Plugs wires and O2 sensors (tune up).
17) Brake pads, rotors and fluid. I will also look at the lines to see if they might need to be replaced.
18) Shocks and springs. Again 13 year old car.
19) New tires.
20) One door actuator.

I hope this helps,

Old 08-19-2015, 03:32 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Nice list but synthetic oil? Why not Rotella 15w40? It's pretty much the go to oil for these flat tappet pushrod trucks. Keeps them clean on the inside.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 831 Likes on 605 Posts

I have started doing a few things including replacing a shredded serpentine belt ...
Not quite sure what you mean by shredded, but serp belts don't usually shred all by themselves. Take a careful look at the water pump and the idler pulleys. The shredded belt may be the canary in the coal mine.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mln01
Not quite sure what you mean by shredded, but serp belts don't usually shred all by themselves. Take a careful look at the water pump and the idler pulleys. The shredded belt may be the canary in the coal mine.
This is what it looked like when we replaced it. I keep checking out the replacement belt to check for wear. When we replaced it I took a look at the pulleys and did a visual check for any bolts, parts or pieces that could have eaten it up. I have a feeling it was an original.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Drifting

My biggest priority is passing emissions here so I have to kill these MAF codes.

Then I'll start running through these lists. Unfortunately the more I work on her, the more I want her to be a DD. It's going to take a while though.