Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problem with 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016 | 04:22 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default problem with 4x4

My vehicle was in the all wheel drive while the front drive shaft was out. (through manual shift under car) When mechanic put the cams in, he put it back in two wheel drive. Today I went to put it in 4x4 and gear symbol came up with line through it. Shifted back to 2 wheel and it goes out. I really do not want to go back to that mechanic. They have broken something every time they touched it. Any ideas where to start? Can it still be in that manual switch? In other words did they put it in 2 wheel that overrides the in truck switch?

Old 12-22-2016 | 04:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by robersonb
My vehicle was in the all wheel drive while the front drive shaft was out. (through manual shift under car) When mechanic put the cams in, he put it back in two wheel drive. Today I went to put it in 4x4 and gear symbol came up with line through it. Shifted back to 2 wheel and it goes out. I really do not want to go back to that mechanic. They have broken something every time they touched it. Any ideas where to start? Can it still be in that manual switch? In other words did they put it in 2 wheel that overrides the in truck switch?
Uh, it's always in all wheel drive. You can shift between 4Hi, 4Lo, N , and CDL lock in 4Lo.

Old 12-22-2016 | 05:03 PM
Camel Trophy

When I had the front driveshaft off on my 01, and locked the CDL manual (since it doesn't have linkage from factory), the gear with a line through it came on. When I finally got my driveshaft on, and as soon as I disengaged the CDL and cycled the key...it went out.

As mentioned...I believe you are in all wheel drive always. No two wheel drive available.

Brian.

Old 12-22-2016 | 05:05 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Frank4
Uh, it's always in all wheel drive. You can shift between 4Hi, 4Lo, N , and CDL lock in 4Lo.
sorry, gear light with slash comes on when I shift it to 4 low

Old 12-22-2016 | 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

The Gear with the slash will come in when you place it into N along with a chime. Make sure to fully push it forward into 4Lo.

Your **** (unless you have a D1 or 04 setup allowing for CDL to be used) will have 4Hi (normal everyday driving), N, and 4Lo. When you have your PRND321 in N can you then take the 4Hi/N/4Lo selector and move it into N (you should get the gear with the slash thru it with a chime if all your sensors are working properly), then when you get it into 4Lo the gear with the slash thru it and the chime should go out.

All RRC/D1/D2's are AWD with a low range transfer box. There is no 2WD option.

Old 12-22-2016 | 06:44 PM
TReK

It can sometimes take a few moments of actual driving before the warning indicator light goes out after you shift from locked to unlocked, and vice-versa. You have to rotate the lock as far as possible to be sure that it's engaged/disengaged. That's easy enough to do yourself -- no need to take it to a mechanic.

Old 12-22-2016 | 07:16 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
It can sometimes take a few moments of actual driving before the warning indicator light goes out after you shift from locked to unlocked, and vice-versa. You have to rotate the lock as far as possible to be sure that it's engaged/disengaged. That's easy enough to do yourself -- no need to take it to a mechanic.
My thanks to both of you. I will try again and make sure I had it pushed all the way forward. I thought I did push it forward trying to get the bell to stop but will check again. I will also check the lock underneath. Its hard to get with my bad shoulder but I should be able to at least check if it is rotated completely.

my thanks to both of you .

Old 12-22-2016 | 08:13 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by robersonb
My thanks to both of you. I will try again and make sure I had it pushed all the way forward. I thought I did push it forward trying to get the bell to stop but will check again. I will also check the lock underneath. Its hard to get with my bad shoulder but I should be able to at least check if it is rotated completely.

my thanks to both of you .
All the way forward is low range. You'll want it all the way back.