Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Brake Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Brake Light Switch

Hello:

I have a 2000 Discovery II. the other day i got in the car and couldn't shift out of park. figured out it was the brake light switch. I jumped the connections with a paper clip and got her going. Brake lights stay on all the time but at least the thing will drive.

I ordered the replacement switch from atlantic british. its the "new style" with the wire bundle that connects to the original electrical connector and then to the switch.

I popped it in and it did not resolve the problem. With the new switch in i get no brake lights and can't shift out of park.

Other than the switch being defective, is there anything else that might be the problem?

Also, is there a common switch that I might find at the local autozone that would be worth a try? None of the chains stock the one for the LR.

thanks.

Matt

Old 05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure on the D2, but make sure the little plunger is pulled all the way out.

When you popped it in, do you still not have lights, or are they on all of the time?

Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i only ask the stupid question, because i was stupid enough to do it, did you install the switch back on completely before checking to see if it work? I didn't realize how the brack switch worked (brake pedal depressed, letting plunger come out, causing light to come on) so i tried checking before i completely installed it back on....