Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with SLS on disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with SLS on disco 2

Can anyone help me with finding if my self levelling system , both auto and manual is working or if I am missing something here. On turning on ignition the SLS light briefly lights and then goes out, as it should I think. I start engine and make sure all doors are closed. When I press the manual button to operate the system there is no audible sound , no action as far as I can see and no light up on the dash. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by woodchip2bert
Can anyone help me with finding if my self levelling system , both auto and manual is working or if I am missing something here. On turning on ignition the SLS light briefly lights and then goes out, as it should I think. I start engine and make sure all doors are closed. When I press the manual button to operate the system there is no audible sound , no action as far as I can see and no light up on the dash. Any help would be appreciated.
When the ignition is turned on the SLS light shows for a self test for a few seconds only. When the 'offroad' button is pressed the rear raises on the air suspension but very slowly, about 150mm (6"0) in around 20-30 seconds provided all the doors are firmly closed. During the raising process there should be a 'donging' noise from the alarm unless it's defunct or turned off. To return the suspension to normal press the button again.

You must have SLS for this to operate and NOT coil springs at the rear.

Ensure your air compressor air intake filter isn't blocked, it's located behind the rear drivers side light, you'll need to remove the rear light to access it.

A simple check is to operate the button via the drivers window and watch the rear of the D2 or measure the height before and after the button is pressed. The raising and lowering isn't by any means instantaneous. Don't open any doors whilst doing the SLS test as they are interlocked with the compressor for obvious reasons.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 07-17-2018 at 03:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
woodchip2bert (07-18-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:24 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by woodchip2bert
Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to be a jerk. But is your rover converted to springs? Almost all the SLS D2’s have been converted. However, I still have mine working. If you aren’t riding on the rear bump stops, then your system is working. That button to raise the back needs to be held in until you hear a ding. Then it should raise the rear. All doors have to be closed.
If you are super lucky, your key will have an option to lower the rear. This was an option to assist in loading the cargo area. I’ve always wanted that key, but if you can find them they are super expensive. The key has 3 buttons instead of 2.

Let me know if you have specific questions on the sls. I’ve pretty much replaced everything on that system. I have an extra air compressor too I could sell you cheap if you need it. Just been sitting in my garage.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:13 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Before I converted mine to coils, it would never raise the rear if I just started the truck and tried to do it by pushing the button. I had to drive a little bit first.
Press and hold the button until it dings. It will take up to 2 minutes to reach full height. I don't recall it chiming while the rear was lifting up.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks to you guys that took the time to reply to my problem. I have now checked the rear suspension and it is still air bag system. So now I have to make up my mind as to what path to take and I am wondering if it would be less hassle if I converted to coil springs so has anyone some idea of cost of a set of springs and best place to purchase from.

Old 07-18-2018, 03:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by humroot
Please don’t take this the wrong way, I’m not trying to be a jerk. But is your rover converted to springs? Almost all the SLS D2’s have been converted. However, I still have mine working. If you aren’t riding on the rear bump stops, then your system is working. That button to raise the back needs to be held in until you hear a ding. Then it should raise the rear. All doors have to be closed.
If you are super lucky, your key will have an option to lower the rear. This was an option to assist in loading the cargo area. I’ve always wanted that key, but if you can find them they are super expensive. The key has 3 buttons instead of 2.

Let me know if you have specific questions on the sls. I’ve pretty much replaced everything on that system. I have an extra air compressor too I could sell you cheap if you need it. Just been sitting in my garage.

Hi Jamie, Not sure which way I am going to go yet but in case I need to change the comp. what sort of figure are we talking, reply to my email if you like at colin.eve@me.com