Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Terrafirma Shocks fitting my 04 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Terrafirma Shocks fitting my 04 Disco

I was set on installing the Terrafirma lift kit over the weekend. Had everything in place. My friend even brought over his air rachet to hook up to my compressor. We got the back end off the ground removed the brake caliper, stock shock and spring, placed new TF spring in place and then went to mount the shock and found that it would not fit right into the mount housing. The top of the piston was too large and would not allow the shock to fit in properly to line up the bolt. Could not force it it was that much off. I am not sure if anyone else has run into this problem or not? I was thinking I may take a torch and heat up the metal around the housing where the shock rest against and bend it enough to make it fit, but I shouldn't have to do this. I sent Terrafirma a message but they are not home til tomorrow. Has anyone else run into this problem, with these shocks or any other after market shocks? The stock one have a tapered top which allows them to fit right in.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by usmarines84
I was set on installing the Terrafirma lift kit over the weekend. Had everything in place. My friend even brought over his air rachet to hook up to my compressor. We got the back end off the ground removed the brake caliper, stock shock and spring, placed new TF spring in place and then went to mount the shock and found that it would not fit right into the mount housing. The top of the piston was too large and would not allow the shock to fit in properly to line up the bolt. Could not force it it was that much off. I am not sure if anyone else has run into this problem or not? I was thinking I may take a torch and heat up the metal around the housing where the shock rest against and bend it enough to make it fit, but I shouldn't have to do this. I sent Terrafirma a message but they are not home til tomorrow. Has anyone else run into this problem, with these shocks or any other after market shocks? The stock one have a tapered top which allows them to fit right in.
there is a guy on LRonly forum, who had the same problem with the front shocks and asked the question 3 times, but there were no replies, you might want to PM him.
Problem with lift install - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
Problem installing Terrafrima Shock - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum
Terrafirrma 3in lift install video - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Old 05-07-2012, 12:04 AM
5th Gear

Those were my posts, still no answers. Hopefully I can get some replacements. Shipping was crazy expensive and it took nearly 3 weeks. Not looking forward to exchanging them.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm just wondering if they either sent you or you ordered the incorrect shocks. What are the part number on the shocks?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Mudding

I installed the terrafirma 2 in last month by myself, no compressor. Had no problems at all, i followed the install instructions. that u can find on youtube. I used a bottle jack to removed and install the springs along with a spring compression tool I borrowed from the local auto supply store. The shocks all went in very easily, I do not understand why you are having a problem.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM
5th Gear

Yep I did all the same. The problem isn't with the installation, the problem is with the shock hitting the frame, which doesn't allow it to sit in far enough for the bolt to make it through at the right angle. The shocks they sent me were the TF 128's I ordered off of Lucky8llc 1999-2004 Discovery II Terra Firma 3" lift kit. I believe the shocks should have a slight taper at the top of the piston allowing them to fit properly.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 AM
5th Gear
Default Shock Number was TF 128

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I'm just wondering if they either sent you or you ordered the incorrect shocks. What are the part number on the shocks?
TF 128 I ordered them off of Lucky8LLC site under 1999-2004 Discovery II 3" Lift Kit.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by usmarines84
TF 128 I ordered them off of Lucky8LLC site under 1999-2004 Discovery II 3" Lift Kit.
I'd say give Justin a call or email him, he is really good about getting back to you with any questions.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM
5th Gear
Default I tried calling Lucky8 a couple of times.

Originally Posted by thebloody
I'd say give Justin a call or email him, he is really good about getting back to you with any questions.
I tried calling Lucky8 a couple of times and left them my name and number but they have not returned my call yet. Also emailed their sales and Justin, but have not heard back.

I need to return these shocks and get the right ones. I hope they will help me out. I have rims and tires waiting to go on my rig, but have to wait until I can install the lift kit.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Mudding

I have TF +2 shocks on my 04, and I didn't have any problems installing them.

Quick Reply: Problem with Terrafirma Shocks fitting my 04 Disco