Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with tom woods ds

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with tom woods ds

whats up guys i just put in my new drive shaft from tom woods on my 01 disco and now it seems to vibrate more than it did before.#1 has anyone ever had this problem with one of their shafts cus i havent ever had one before with customers rovers.#2 i guess i have to call them and see what they say i hope they will replace it.just seems to be out of balance vibrates when u do over 60mph i took it it out and it articulates fine and seems tight also i greased it good before i put it in.any help would be much app

Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with both of my Tom Woods Ds. The first time they sent me another ds that was "extra" balanced and it solved my issues (then it broke). The second one I didn't get fixed because it only vibrates when I go over 75 which I don't do very often.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Mudding

yeah mine only virates over 60mph did u have to send the old one back,how did it break?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The first one I did send back after they were nice enough to send me a replacement and a return shipping label. I think it failed because I didn't know to grease the center ball. You have to drop the shaft and use a needle fitting on the grease gun. The second one I got I didn't bother sending back. Tom Woods customer service is great though.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Call them and let them know what is going on.
By the way, did you lube it before you installed it?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Three Wheeling

Mine shakes like hell over 65. Tom said this was "normal" because his shaft was heavier that the original. I haven't had time to pursue it further but I feel like it shouldn't vibrate enough to be noticeable.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:03 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine does not shake even over 80mph, call Tom Woods he seems like a nice guy. They are heavier shafts and most trucks do not have a chunky double cardon front driveshaft that is always turning so I'm sure us Disco II guys have been giving him a headache.

Oh yeah make sure you grease that centering ball every oil change also.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

me too x 435. I just installed one in February - it vibrates at about 65mph to about 70mph. When I say vibrates, basically you can tell its there - it doesn't vibrate the hell out of the truck. It seems that it has gotten better over the month I've had it though ...

It seems like any vibration is bad for your other components - I'm not an engineer (thank God Almighty) - so I may just be paranoid.

Factory DS was perfect (minus having to worry about it exploding).

Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Call them and let them know what is going on.
By the way, did you lube it before you installed it?
yeah i lubed the whole shaft including the centering ball always do when i put them in.just never had one shake but i guess every part cant be perfect.im gonna order a new one for my 04 se7 that i picked up last week so mabye he can send me a new one with that one.they are very well built but they are considerably chunkyer so i guess they are hard to balance correctly thanx guys

Old 03-30-2010, 11:29 PM
Winching

I had 2 Tw ds that vibrated. Sent the factory ds to toddco for rebuild. Cheaper and they did a great job.

Quick Reply: Problem with tom woods ds