Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the new Rover.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with the new Rover.

Ok, so i bought that Discovery (1995 automatic, 156000 miles, and apparently a lot of problems) and got it in the garage and can't get it started. i tried everything. even pulled my 2 month old battery out of my discovery and all the electronics work and everything, but it won't even turn over. and the flashers flash after i try to start it. But here are the problems.

1. it won't start. ha.

2. i messed with the differential lock and it just moves freely. doesn't go in any gears. and while i was messing with it, i heard something fall on the garage floor. it was a screw. out of the differential area. i figured that was an omen. ha. but i don't know what to think about that. either way i cannot get it to engage in a gear at all.

3. the back sun roof will not open, it is broken. i think the tracks or something need to be replaced. i didn't spend too much time on it. but, it also won't close all the way. so that would be annoying. if i ever got it to drive. ha.

I am out of town with family and can't go look at the rover because of that. but i was bored so i though i would see if you guys had any ideas. thanks for the reading and help.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Problems with the new Rover.

Well to close the sunroof there is a manual screw that you can tuen, I believe it is a allen head.
Close it and forget it, you need a whole new sunroof, that will cost you more than the truck is worth.
If the truck thinks that you are in neutral then it wont start.
Check and make sure that the trans is all the way in park.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and if you dropped some screws off your diff while trying to engage/disengage gears or whatever it sounds like its just a linkage issue which would be relatively easy to sort out...

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I wasn't too worried about the sunroof. the likage issue on the other hand, i was a bit worried about. So i am glad to hear that is all that is most likely is. thanks for the help. any ideas on how to get it started? That would be great to hear it start. ha, then maybe i could get an idea of what else needs to be done. ha. thanks again.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:35 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought but if it won't start in park shift the transmission to neutral and try to start it. By the rear switch for the sunroof there is a access hole that covers the sunroof motor. Remove that and use and allen head wrench to close the sunroof and leave it shut until you can get the tracks replaced. For the transfer case linkage, crawl under the truck and verify that the linkage is still attached to the t-case. I don't know exactly where the linkage hooks up to the transfer case but it should be pretty obvious if you have something just hanging under the truck.