Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Making a Trailer out of a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 06:14 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

You could give Chris Fetterish a call- at DArk Crow Designs. I think he uses a Facebook business page presence. He’s in Ohio, & he built that green-ish Trek toe behind trailer/half disco. Very good Guy.

Old 04-16-2022, 06:16 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts
Old 04-17-2022, 09:01 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for the additional info. Will try and get in touch with Dark Crow Designs!

Old 05-12-2022, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever make any headway on this?

Old 05-12-2022, 11:30 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 281 Likes on 215 Posts

The key idea is to keep costs as low as possible....

1) I went to the BC provincial registration and insurance office. No vehicle inspection needed if declared as a u-built trailer. Most ubilt trailers weighing less than 1,400 kilograms (3,080-lbs) don't require a B.C.-assigned VIN or a vehicle inspection. I will have to sign an affadavit to attest to the safety aspects of the trailer.

2) The main idea now is to build the trailer from the A-pillar rather than B-pillar (more interior room). Buddy #1 and I plan to dedicate a few days to strip off front hood, grill, front axle, fenders as well as all the interior (e.g., dash, seats, etc). The idea is to reduce as much weight as possible. Then build a sleeping platform inside the truck with some storage options.

3) Once we strip the parts, the idea is to gauge the weight distribution / tongue weight estimate. This will determine if we keep the chassis cut-off at the A-pillar or B-pillar.

4) Buddy #2 has a workshop with a 4-post lift and also a professional mechanic. We definitely want the trailer to have brakes. His idea was to take out the rear axle and find a Dexter axle with brakes. However, the Dexter axles comes with their own bolt pattern. This means a different set of wheels, plus more cost (which we are trying to keep down). The next idea is to install a surge brake system to work with the existing rear axle brakes, and therefore, use the existing Disco wheels. This means also carrying just one spare wheel fpr ther truck and trailer combo. Surge brakes as the type used in boat trailers. More research needed here.

P/S. I just got acquainted with a local guy who took one of his Discos and converted to a TD5 diesel, including mating it to the auto transmission. He is a proficient mechanical engineer with UK roots. He is able to source TD5 engines and transmissions from his homeland. He suggested I take this second Disco chassis and install a TD5 engine and transmission. However, I acquired this Disco without an engine, engine harness, transmission, transfer case, BCU and ECU. I do not think this is an option for me as I already have my first Disco installed with a Turner V8 a few years ago and will last a while (fingers crossed).I made him aware of this forum and suggested that he post his project here.

Last edited by acg; 05-12-2022 at 05:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (05-12-2022)