Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prop Shaft Changed - Didn't Fix Clicking

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prop Shaft Changed - Didn't Fix Clicking

After many responses to my clicking thread I decided to install a new front prop shaft. Also changed out trans fluid and t-case fluid. Two missing bolts from tranny housing to oil pan replaced. Still have the clicking sound when I let off the accelerator!

Any other ideas on what this could be. Only when off the accelerator and above 15mph. Appreciate any help guys.

w

Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exhaust leak?

Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

only when off the accelerator and above 15 mph. you have a clicking with these exact conditions. Not when you are turning, at idle. Im assuming that if everyone told you to rebuild your driveshaft, you didnt do it before. Are you sure all the bolts are tightened to spec? did you check your output flange for movement? where is the noise coming from? front or rear? have you checked the rear driveshaft u joint?
I hope you are aware that there are multiple rotating components that can and will click.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Overlanding

Yep, only when over 15mph and only when letting off accelerator. Even if I apply the slightest touch to the pedal, it will go away. Nothing when turning or at idle. Put in a new Tom Woods shaft and torqued each the same...nothing loose. Have visually inspected rear prop shaft and everything is tight and greased. It is hard to tell exactly where it is coming from...need to have wife drive so I can hang my head out the door but seems like mid vehicle...t-case area but couldn't be sure exactly. Not sure how to check other components to know if the sound is coming from them or not. Help a newbie?
Thx,
w

Old 08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, I had clicking at similar speed, pulled prop shaft, it continued, both straight and turning, changed oil in swivel to grease only, slight clicking then dropped to turn only clicking. Obtained CV joint and then "discovered" that front wheel lug nuts were not torqued down 100%. Have not installed CV joint, it is on the spares shaelf.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Pro Wrench

ok.....what year is your truck? do u have cdl to lock and remove front driveshaft. im sure you have gone over all this already. can you post a link for the old thread so i can get all the info on the fly?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Overlanding

It's a 2003. Don't have CDL according to others so haven't tried running without front prop shaft. Previous thread is https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...lerator-42534/.

Appreciate the help!
w

Old 08-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Pro Wrench

ok....not much to go off of but we'll work with what we have.....i need you to check and see if its a engine or driveline issue.....get up to speed, put the trans in neutral and make it click....
If it clicks in neutral, then you have now confirmed its a driveline issue.

Old 08-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Overlanding

Been trying to figure out if it is a trans/engine issue...should have thought of that. Just took it for a drive. Let up on gas, clicking started...put trans in N and clicking did NOT stop. Thanks for the continued help dgi! Just can't seem to think of a reason why it only does it when off the accelerator.
w

Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Pro Wrench

No problem at all. Just trying to share the love...

ok. Clicking didnt stop. Then that means its in the driveline. pull the propshaft and check the flange on the output. Make sure there is no play in the flange itself and definately make sure the bolt is tighter than.....well you can insert you own induendos here, but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Prop Shaft Changed - Didn't Fix Clicking