Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Cold and Hot Tire Pressure Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Cold and Hot Tire Pressure Off Road

Quick question. I'm running the standard alloy 16" L.R. wheel. Letter D on page 44 on the Atlantic British 2007/2008 Catalog. I'm running 265/75/16 E rated Pro Comp Extreme A/T's.
I have no interest in putting bead locks on this truck what so ever. My thought process seems to lead me to around 10-12 PSI without rolling a bead in moderate rocky off road conditions as well as treading lightly.
Thanks for any info folks have a good weekend ,
Jeremy

Old 07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

First, you never check your air pressure on a hot tire, only cold before driven.
40#'s front and rear and 18#'s when airing down other wise you can roll a bead.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling

I have to drive us 7 miles to the trail head at highway speeds. I was hoping someone had figured out a hot air down temp to hit the trails with or the formula to figure out hot expansion for a trail head entry at 8000 ft right off the highway. I'm aired up on the street at 35. 18-20 will work for me on the trail. I travel with onboard air, a patch kit for punctures in the rocks,H2O and on and on and on ;_) for packing in and out responsibly.
I was running 25 on the street with TSL LTB's which I would air down to 15 on the trail(no bead locks and different truck).
I'm just going to carefully go down to 20 and drive slowly to the entry with the family. I think I'm missing the beauty of the L.R. turn right into the woods and go. NO EPIC TRAILHEAD RITUAL PRE-WHEELING NOT NAMING ANY TRUCKS ;_)
I haven't had time to go wheeling since the truck went into the shop as soon as the wife and I got it back from Sac CA were we purchased the Rover. I did take it off a retaining wall at a 45 degree approach it came off the wall so smoothly I was slack jawed ;_) This would have been a YARD SALE in any of my other trucks!
Thanks again to Mike and Spike as well as all the other Members for quickly answering all of my questions.

Last edited by JMON; 08-01-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: first cup o joe
Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Air-water-fire-;_) !!!!! Arrrrgh here we go !!!!

I'm answering my own question with the help of Mike and Spikes input. We're only hitting moderate trails today so I went 25 all around in the E rated Pro Comp Extreme A/T's. This is down from 35 front and 40 rear.
After Spike finally told me these engines have no EGR(I'm ordering all the manuals this weekend UGH !! what a pain....) I topped the tank off with 12 gallons of 91 octane no more 87 octane and the largest bottle of Techron EFI cleaner I've ever seen.The wife must have picked up for the S4 next to the 2 Gallon container of nacho cheese at the local club store. I don't have any B99 to use as marvel mystery oil but the Techron is such a good product I'm not going to overdo it with the B99 trick.
I'm not doing the Sea Foam Trick because I've had a mixed bag of results with the product it either works great or it moves the engine closer to the boneyard. Honestly I've had a 300K engine run like new after sea foam and on the crappier side I've had a 120K engine put one piston in the grave after a good Sea Foaming! My guess in quite a few of these instances the sludge and goo was probably keeping the compression up for a few thousand more miles that the Sea Foam probably just helped along a bit more quickly.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We dont have any places to go rock crawling around here so I never air down, I run my tires at 35 front and 40 rear.
If I were to go to the dunes then I would air down to 15 once I got there.
You can check tire psi when hot but you need to know the tire psi when cold.
So if they are at 40 when cold, you drive 7 miles to the trail and then they are at 41 and you want 18 when cold then you know to let out 23psi.
Make sense?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't waste a lot of time worring about pressure for the trails, just drop to 18#'s and you are set.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeremy do you have a lift?

Old 08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Three Wheeling

One of the first few things I did when I purchased the D II was to replace the steering damper with the new Bilstein one on the market as well as replace Both the shocks and springs with the tried and true OME H.D. Kit. This takes the dive out of the front end as well as lifting the Rover approximately 1.6". I added Pro Comp Extreme AT E rated tires one shoe size up to 265/75/16. These Hush Puppies put the truck up around another 1.2" when you do the math. In my experience with Trucks (with the exception of nice and broken in leaf springs) at 100K I like to start replacing the suspension pieces especially with a hefty truck like the Disco II pounding on the parts for 100k.
My main motivation of this thread was to not make a mistake with the Rover and air it down on the trail too much and roll a bead off. If I left the tires at 40 rear and 35 front even on the moderate trails we would take a hefty pounding because the trails are so rocky up here.
Thanks again for all the info folks.