Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Proper Oil

I am about to have my oil changed for the first time since I purchased my D1. I have decided that I am going to buy Royal Purple oil and a filter then take it to Wal-mart for the oil change. I need to know what weight I should run. I will probably be into cold weather, i.e. 0 degrees or colder, before I have the oil changed since I don't put many miles on the truck. I have the truck in North Dakota where I work as my commuter vehicle.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Proper Oil

I think I used 10w40? Royale purple is a great oil I am changing all of min out to Royal Purple but one thing I always do is ask for the empty oil bottles I have had them hide my oil and sneek in their crapy oil!

Old 08-24-2008, 05:44 PM
TReK

Thanks for the tip. I am a fairly trusting person and would have never thought of that.

Old 08-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Royal Purple 15w-40. It is amazing. My 60k service is coming up and I am changing all the fluids to RP.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

X2 on the 15W40, I use Mobil 1 15W50, which you can buy at Wal-Mart.
And to tell you the truth, you would be better off taking your oil and filter to the local muffler shop, a kid making $8 per hour doesnt give a rats *** about you or your truck. They have screwed up so many oil changes it isint funny.
True story, I saw a kid drain the oil out of a brand new F-150, the car in front of the truck left, he started the Ford, drove it forward 20 feet and then went back under the truck and replaced the drain plug and then replaced the oil filter, then came back up top and put in the new oil.
With a initial investment of less than $50 you can change your own oil and know for a fact that it was done right. It is very easy to change the oil on a LR.
If you want to know what to buy just shout.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:00 PM
TReK

My problem is that here in North Dakota where I work and where I have the Rover for now I live in a hotel while I'm here. The hotel staff treat us pretty well but I think they may object to me changing the oil in the parking lot. It would also create a situation of have to find somewhere to dispose of the oil. Gone are the days of taking it out in the woods and dumping it, not that I have done that. I actually look in my my service manual for recommended oil weight and it called for 5w40 or 5w50 for all temperature ranges. Did you really mean 15w40? I've never run 15w40 in anything that has spark plugs.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:33 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In that cold of weather do not use 15w40 or 10w40 use 5w40 or 5w30 then when
the temp's get back to 60 go back to 15w40 or 10w40.

I use 10w40 highmileage mobil one in the summer in
winter I use a 5w30 highmileage mobil one and here in Tx that for about 2 1/2 mo's.

If you want a 5w40 Shell Rotella-T synthetic oil.

What I have found is in cold weather is gaskets get hard and leak more
so a highmileage oil is what I like.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Team Owner

Being in North Dakota you will want to runa 5W- for the winter, sorry that I missed that the first time. I live in MI and we get cold, but not your kind of cold.
I didnt realize that you were living in hotel. So I understand why you cannot change your own oil. BUT, any place that changes oil will take used oil, for free. They get paid for their used oil by the oil re-refiners, huge money in used oil. Up to and over a dollar paid per gallon for used motor oil.
AK, you know that your truck takes 7 quarts with a filter change, right? I just want to make sure that you have enough oil on hand for the job.
Once you get the empty bottles home, stick a small funnel into a empty bottle, stick another bottle into the funnel, let it drain over night, repeat this with all of the empty oil bottles, you will recover almost a quart of oil from the "empty" oil bottles.

It doesnt get cold in TX, I've been to TX in the middle of the winter, it was hot as hell.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

It doesnt get cold in TX, I've been to TX in the middle of the winter, it was hot as hell.

Its not hot until its at least 100,, it is also much cooler than Phoenix AZ when I lived there.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

I've also been to Pheniox in March, also hot.
Here in MI cold is 10 degrees above zero andHOT is 80. We also have 90% humity with that heat.

Quick Reply: Proper Oil