Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros & Cons about buying a Used Range Rover

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros & Cons about buying a Used Range Rover

I'm in the market for a used range rover.

I'm looking at a 2002, has about 50k miles and is being sold for about 16,000.

Does the price sound too good to be true, and what are some of the pro's, and con's with used range rovers?

Thanks,

-Jump

Old 03-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Overlanding
Default RE: Pros & Cons about buying a Used Range Rover

Well I can tell you that a dealer quoting $952.00 to change the spark plug wires might give you a heart attack, since it is a 10 minute do it yourself job on a normally designed vehicle. Some design engineer in England thought it would be funny to put the distributor on the back of the engine, where it is nearly inaccessible. You will read alot about the "air springs" on these forums. They are balloons and they do get leaks eventually, but they are incredibly easy for a do-it-yourselfer to change out, so don't let that quirky part dissuade you.
The sound system, ride, toughness and interior comfort make this an awesome SUV.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:20 AM
Three Wheeling

Pros: you are driving a Ranger Rover=status symbol like friggin a huge!
Cons: still have problems like every other car, but so expensive to fix--thats luxury for ya!

Question: you have enough money for a 2002 Rangie, why not just buy a newer one instead, one that you dont have to worry about maintanence that may not have been done on it, and that you can rest assured with a warranty with? Good luck, but i mean, thats about it on the pros and cons that i know of with the Ranges

EDIT: just saw the 16,000...wow....that is WAY TOO GOOD to be true, a Discovery is a pretty decent price from that year at that price--we are talking a Range Rover 2 times as much as Discovery, with barely any miles...what is wrong with that truck?!

Old 03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: mikedemet

Well I can tell you that a dealer quoting $952.00 to change the spark plug wires might give you a heart attack, since it is a 10 minute do it yourself job on a normally designed vehicle. Some design engineer in England thought it would be funny to put the distributor on the back of the engine, where it is nearly inaccessible. You will read alot about the "air springs" on these forums. They are balloons and they do get leaks eventually, but they are incredibly easy for a do-it-yourselfer to change out, so don't let that quirky part dissuade you.
The sound system, ride, toughness and interior comfort make this an awesome SUV.
925 to change a spark plug [&o] wow.....that is crazy. I heard up keep on these cars costs alot of money.

Old 03-08-2006, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: NHESS81

Pros: you are driving a Ranger Rover=status symbol like friggin a huge!
Cons: still have problems like every other car, but so expensive to fix--thats luxury for ya!

Question: you have enough money for a 2002 Rangie, why not just buy a newer one instead, one that you dont have to worry about maintanence that may not have been done on it, and that you can rest assured with a warranty with? Good luck, but i mean, thats about it on the pros and cons that i know of with the Ranges

EDIT: just saw the 16,000...wow....that is WAY TOO GOOD to be true, a Discovery is a pretty decent price from that year at that price--we are talking a Range Rover 2 times as much as Discovery, with barely any miles...what is wrong with that truck?!
Honestly I don't know if a Range Rover is for me now, after hearing stories about how expensive it is to fix them. I only make around 2k a month and I've save about 20k.

I know this is the range rover forums but anyone want to suggest an alternative vehicle?

-Jump

Old 03-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Three Wheeling

you are actually in the Land Rover Discovery forum, not the Land Rover Range Rover forum....but if you are squeaking by with money anyway, you really dont need a Rangie...look into the Discovery Series II they are nice 99 to 04, and you should be able to find one about the same price as that Range, and you can work on a Disco a hell of a lot easier than a Range, doesnt mean itll be easy, Land Rovers take time and money, but if you are patient you can get it all worked out easy....go for a Disco

Old 03-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling

go for a disco like Nhess81 said they are easier to work on and you can get way more aftermarket parts for a disco 2 and for 16K you can get a fully loaded low miles disco2. As for me I wouldn't buy a range rover because they are too nice for the type of wheeling I have in mind. and most folks out here in California only buy the range rover for the status rather than really having a interest in the 4x4. Only a few times do I see a modded rover and most of them are Discos 1's and 2's and D90's. My mother got a 2000 java black disco with 65K miles for only 14K loaded to the hilt heated seats, sunroof ,land rovers wrap around brush bar,ACE, the sls suspension kit and 18 inch wheels. Before you set sites on the range rover definetly give the discovery a chance.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Rock Crawling

In the town where I live I'm the only one with a rovertym bumper and actually wheels my truck.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 PM
4wd Low

Well I am planning on buying one in the next few months(Disco II) and I did alot of research first and still doing it,I have a garage to work on it in so repair is no biggie,I am going to buy a code reader and a repair book,thats about $400 right there.

The one thing I am doing is looking on ebay and also auto locator,auto locator offers more with warrentys then ebay dealers but there discriptions are a little lacking,were ebay gives you a better look at what your getting.

I am looking at the $18,000 under 2000 and up Disco II's and want the whole 9 yards,heated seats, duel moonroof,rear air,hill desent,auto level ect ect,basicly a fully loaded one with the black and tan inside color,and that takes some looking,alot of the dealers say fully loaded and there not,you have to watch out for that.

As far as reapir,you don't have to take it to land rover, just a wrench you trust,any goood garage willl have the equipment to run the codes and fix them,I am lucky my guy will buy any tools needed to fix it being I have used him for years now.

The parts cost no more then the newer Chevy's or Ford's,some are cheaper for Disco II's then Ford or Chevy,just do some research on where to buy them some places are just crazy on there prices.

I have looked into Chevy trucks,Ford trucks, and SUV's the trucks cost way to much,I looked on ebay in my price range and what would be close to a Diso II (Avalanch,2500Hd,F-250 F-350) and for under or around 18 grand is stuff with 90,000 miles on it for the most part,that means a new engine right off,they can keep them.

The only thing I have kicked around in an 98 to 2000 Ford Exporer Eddie Bauer,and rebuild the engine right off,but every one has one of thoughs,ther is one other Disco II were I live.

Now I have seen here and there a Ford F350 duelie dielsel Lariat with 300,000 or more on it full loaded for 15,000,of course the engine is about dead or close to it but for that truck and the cost of a rebuilt engine is worth it to me. I would have it forever.

The one big problom for me is atfer market stuff for Disco's,there is very little out there and the stuff that is out the cost some bucks, but there are ways around it,just takes some brains and tools is all,like running boards,for a Disco II be about $400,get ones for an auto part store that are the right size and do some drilling or weld the brackets on be cheaper and you can get the kind you want.

I have an 87 Ford F-150 that I have had since 87,there are chevy LED taillights on it,2003 Ford F-150 leather seats in it,chevy overhead console in it,moon visor made for a 2000 chevy 1500 on it and a few other little things that are not supposed to fit it,just did a little refitting and you cannot tell at all it is not supposed to fit,I plan on posting what and how I did things to my Disco II after I decide on what I want to do but I know the way it comes won't be good enough,never is,Im picky . The hard part is going to be matching the paint if I retro fit taillighs or something requiring some body work. I might just have it painted close to the same color it is but in a easy found color.(Ie- Chawton White to artic white,Epsom Green to Olive Green)

So in the end for me the Disco II is the right price and SUV for me,you cannot beat what they give you in options for the price.

CrimeScene

I just need to add this one:
I looked at buying a heap,whoops mean Jeep wrangler and they are out of ther little minds if they want me to pay over 25 grand for a new one or even 15 grand for a good used one that rides like crap and has less features in it then a 1970's era cadillac and less room then a Yugo all becuse the top comes off? I don't have sucker written on my forehead.Add that to getting ejected even with a seatbelt in a bad crash.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 PM
4th Gear

You guys are awesome, this is an excellent forum I appreciate everyone’s help.