Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proshaft front prop

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is also rather arrogant for you to say I should take responsibility to know how to maintain the things I purchased. I did. I read everything available at the time. I asked every pertinent question I knew to ask. AT NO POINT was I ever informed that this required 3,000 mile maintenance. A simple slip of paper included in the box would have made all the difference. This is the second land rover I have owned. The first was a range rover that needed so much maintenance I could not sell the truck it was to replace. I had to have two vehicles so I had something to drive when the Range Rover broke down. I have owned and operated a lawn and landscape business. I own ATV's and motorcycles. I own a high mileage diesel truck. Maintenance is not a foreign concept to me.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Funny, everyone on here know that it should be greased. Its ok, you don't have to admit you dropped the "ball" ..hahahahaha.

If you have been burned twice, then maybe you should shouldn't listen to online mechanics. Maybe you should just pay your way through ownership.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by 2rovers
Disco Mike, well known to who? Based on what? I came here asking advice. I don't live on this site and I don't live to work on my rover. I am not a member of any rover clubs. Not every is. I bought that shaft based on the advice and interactions with LR2001SILVER and by reading others comments. It may be well known now, but I haven't been to this site since last January. There is no denying that the rover is a capable off road vehicle. That is why we bought it. It also ranks number one in worst resale value and it has **** poor ratings from consumer reports for reliability. I am not opposed to working on things as necessary. I am opposed to adding to my work load. The proshaft has no advantage over a sealed shaft if it requires that kind of maintenance.
Serviceable is an advantage over sealed, because you can service it. The cat cooks the grease inside the shaft which causes the failure. This way you can keep greasing it to extend its life.

All serviceable shafts need to be greased, this is common knowledge.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by caymandrew
Zach, isn't that fitting supposed to lubed every 3k-5k miles as well anyway?? Sounds like it never got lubed and 7 months later it failed, shocking.
Indeed it is. I greased yours before you got it.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
Overlanding

"Common knowledge" makes an assumption on your part. I am a paramedic. I assume it is common knowledge to give tylenol and motrin to kids with fevers. Do you have any idea how many 911 calls we go to for kids with fevers whose parents have no clue they should have treated it at home before calling? Part of my job is also to educate. Part of the job of the manufacturer is to educate. My point is he failed to do so. Having that info on his ebay site or in communication with him would have altered my decision. It will alter others decisions as well. It would help immensely if he had a website and an easier way to contact him. Lacking that, having a simple piece of paper highlighting a maintenance schedule and the points to grease and with how much would have saved me $500. My whole rant here is to educate other average Joes since the information doesn't come from the manufacturer or from you because you make an assumption that this is common knowledge. If you want a high maintenance drive shaft, fine. I do not. 150,000 miles to failure sounds good to me versus more labor every few months. I have limited time. Playing around with my rover is not high on my list of priorities.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Camel Trophy

I understand, I was just referring to the "serviceable" part. I hear you, and it's the exact reason I started including instructions with the prop shafts we sell, with images showing you exactly how and where to grease the shaft. Not everyone is a mechanic and I understand that. Non-serviceable shafts are the reason DII front shafts fail, and a lot of people don't want to deal with replacing it again. Email proshaftllc@gmail.com and tell him you want a sealed shaft, he should have some.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Ok guy. Sell it, get a Jeep, or a Honda and be happy.
Or even better, buy a new BMW. "No cost maintainence"
Sorry to say, you bought the wrong vehicle.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Overlanding

ZGphoto, would you be kind enough to provide me pictures or a diagram of the center bearing grease point? That is what was dry on mine and failed. I just spent considerable time underneath my rover and cannot locate the grease point to prevent this from happening again. I can easily identify and access the universal joints. I can find nothing online about it either.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy

I'll send you some tomorrow when I'm at work if that's okay?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Overlanding

That would be great. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Proshaft front prop