Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protect new windshield cowl / plenum cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Protect new windshield cowl / plenum cover?

Hey all, I have bit the bullet and purchased a genuine windshield cowl replacement (that big plastic cover under the wipers), and all the damn rubber parts that go with it. Let's say I want it to outlast the truck, how would you protect it?

I have thought about a UV protection clear coat or maybe a thin layer of epoxy covering the entire piece. What causes them to get brittle and crack apart to begin with? I have plenty of old autos with plastic bits on the outside that don't just fall apart like this stuff does.

Old 01-09-2021, 12:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

It will crack again as rain wets/puddles/stays in its underside and when that water freezes, ice expansion does it. If there was no way for the rain to stay under it or made of silicone, it would survive.
It is not the UV/heat/sun; is the freeze as far as I know.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I disagree with Externet. UV breaks down the OEM plastic causes it to become brittle. The thermal expansion from summer to winter does cause the cracking once it is brittle. I would recommend a coating if you want it to outlast the truck. You could use paint. I use the Duplicolor truck bed coating. Truck bed coatings have maximum UV protection as they are assumed to be parked outdoors at all times. You could have it professionally sprayed with Line-X or Rhino, they will hold up very well.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:51 PM
Drifting
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Try 303 protectant to fight some of the sun damage. Parking it in the garage would probably be the best solution if you have room of course.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

A loaf of bread has a better chance of outlasting a Land Rover...lol.

Just joking, couldn't resist.

Some sort of UV protector couldn't hurt, for sure. Plastic becomes brittle over time, causing failure.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:29 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Ceramic coating or some sort of sealant would definitely protect it, however, I wouldn't worry about it. I got one out of a parts truck for $15 in perfect condition, I'd try looking in a Disco junkyard first. A guy I know that restores Discos says the new plastic ones don't fit as well as used ones.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to get a UV protectant spray, like a top coat clear-coat spray. Due to the garage being full the disco will be parked out in the sun the majority of the rest of its life. Extinct, your truck bed coating idea is a very intriguing idea... I may try a couple of test pieces first and see how that turns out. Weather was bad this weekend so this will be a next weekend project.

Thanks again all!

Old 01-11-2021, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yep extreme heat makes the plastic brittle. I've never seen a D2 in TX without issues. The windshield cowl is mounted directly behind the engine bay and it gets heated from the engine, and the sun. It's honestly a no win situation. I've been curious about the fiberglass made unit I've seen off of Ebay.

Old 01-11-2021, 06:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

I bought one of the fiberglass cowls, fit nice. Does not have the factory vent grille for the cabin filter, you could obviously drill holes if you wanted. Strength, flexibility both better than an 18yo factory unit. Never handled a new OEM one so have no reference. Does not have the factory hooks.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yep extreme heat makes the plastic brittle. I've never seen a D2 in TX without issues. The windshield cowl is mounted directly behind the engine bay and it gets heated from the engine, and the sun. It's honestly a no win situation. I've been curious about the fiberglass made unit I've seen off of Ebay.
My understanding is the guy that made this in Malaysia, Rexypow(?), had passed away and one of his family members liquidated the stock. I haven't seen a fiberglass one for sale anywhere for a couple years now. Wish I would have pulled the trigger back then. Community lost a pretty special person doing some pretty top notch work.

There is another company now taking OEM parts and reenforcing them with fiberglass but I don't see any more aftermarket fiberglass parts anywhere.

Last edited by Tidder; 01-12-2021 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Spelling