Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled the trigger on a 99 DII.. it has issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pulled the trigger on a 99 DII.. it has issues

My wife would laugh becase she says in only like broken things (other than her that is)

I i did a 350 mile round trip today to a tiny tiny town where a D2 with a few issues had been listed. Yep.. it has issues but i still could not help myself.

So its got 149,000 on it and this is what i know and have tried to figure out this afternoon.

Runs great with a little vibration from either a wheel or drive shaft, not a big deal as i have plans for both.

Wipers dont work.
Radio does not work
turn signles dont work
cruse control does not work
brake lights dont work
reverse lights dont work..

Hazard lights only make the front flashers flash..

Now i check all the fuses, about 9 times and this is what odd, under the dash fuse 17 is hot but fuse 16 is dead (not a blown fuse, not power to it) and if i jump 17 to 16.. the wipers work????

Ok i live in the desert so use the wipers about 2 times a year for bird poo so really i want to know about the brake lights and turns signals..

F25 (break pedal fuse) is hot and i swamped it to be sure...
I tried jumping the connector on the brake pedal switch and no brake lights... is there a relay for the brake lights as looking at the gague of the wire running to the switch is soooo small it made me think.

Could a bad ground cause all kind of issues with the rear lights?? or is there a relay for some of this stuff that i am missing.

All fuses test good under the hood and under the steering wheel..

any ideas?

Oh i Paid $1000 for it.. in case anyone wanted to know.

Dave

Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bahahahahahha - that's a cake walk! I just bought my first Land Rover today - A Disco I. I have a tale that would make a grown man cry. Watch for my post after I dry out and get good and drunk. These things are from HELL!!!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, both of you

I love my DI, and there's NOTHING left on it that I haven't touched with a wrench. LOL

Dave, nice buy, DO NOT underestimate the immediate ability for your front driveshaft to try to KILL you & take out your trans housing with it.

PLEASE search DII driveshaft very soon.

luck,greg

Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Replace the fuse box, the DII fuse box is known to crack and wreck havoc.
www.roverlandparts.com
www.autosportsunlimited.com

Do the taillights come on when you turn the lights on?
Early model DII's drivers side taillight leaks and fills with water shorting out both taillights as the passenger one piggybacks off of the drivers side.

As for the cruise control, does the power switch on the dash light up? It is the picture of a bridge over a roadway, or as most people call it "a skateboard thingy"

Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Mudding

what about the wipers though? My DI wipers quit tonight in the middle of a trip from hell. I checked all the fuses in the box under the hood. Is there another fuse box? I did not get an owner's manual with my DI.

Dave K.
in absolute LR hell after 6 hours of ownership :-(

Old 04-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Welcome. I acquired my first Rover a few days ago. Its a D1. Someone suggested checking the vacuum lines that come through the firewall. Apparently there is a T off where the hoses will crack and the cruise control fails.

Do all these lights work when the alarm goes off?

Turn signals are out on mine. Through elimination I have come down to the flasher. None of the common auto parts stores can even get it. Well I havent tried NAPA, but I will tomorrow.

From what it sounds like though the fuse box is most likely your problem.

Old 04-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well after about 4 hours with a volt meter and a few beers it seems that relay R7 in the engin compartment was missing, well 2 of them are missing in that bank, and there was 2 harness connectors unplugged from the passenger foot well going to some ECU looking things down there. Once they were hooked up and i found in doing something i blew 3 more fuses...

I have brake lights
I have rear lights
I have reverse lights
I have a stereo
I have dash lights.
I have wipers...
YES!!!!!!

I still dont have turn signals, when i put on the hazards the front and side markers go like mad but nothing from the rear at all. Now i just need to get some sleep but im happy things seem to be working a little better!
Thanks as always for the help and I'll post some photos of the poor old girl tomorrow.

On a closing note its easy to understand the condition of the vehicle when you find all kind of drug paraphernalia under the seats and a couple of roaches under the shifter boots.
Dave

Old 04-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by range_time
Well after about 4 hours with a volt meter and a few beers it seems that relay R7 in the engin compartment was missing, well 2 of them are missing in that bank, and there was 2 harness connectors unplugged from the passenger foot well going to some ECU looking things down there. Once they were hooked up and i found in doing something i blew 3 more fuses...

I have brake lights
I have rear lights
I have reverse lights
I have a stereo
I have dash lights.
I have wipers...
YES!!!!!!

I still dont have turn signals, when i put on the hazards the front and side markers go like mad but nothing from the rear at all. Now i just need to get some sleep but im happy things seem to be working a little better!
Thanks as always for the help and I'll post some photos of the poor old girl tomorrow.

On a closing note its easy to understand the condition of the vehicle when you find all kind of drug paraphernalia under the seats and a couple of roaches under the shifter boots.
Dave

instead of $1,000 you could have traded an eight ball for youre new truck!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked the bulbs of your turn signals? when turn signals flash faster than usual it points towards a burnt bulb.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by audiS4S6
what about the wipers though? My DI wipers quit tonight in the middle of a trip from hell. I checked all the fuses in the box under the hood. Is there another fuse box? I did not get an owner's manual with my DI.

Dave K.
in absolute LR hell after 6 hours of ownership :-(

Dave,

Under the steering wheel is a panel with 2 big screw looking things in the upper corners. Turn them with your thumb and the pannel flips down. Behind that you will find 3 sections of fuses.

Don't feel to bad I was not even 5 miles from where I bought my 98 Disco and I got hit by a caddy due to they forgot to put enuff feul in. The caddy got towed away btw lol.

The Goose

Quick Reply: Pulled the trigger on a 99 DII.. it has issues