Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling 3 Amigos Codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 07:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pulling 3 Amigos Codes

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2000 Disco 2 with bad transmission (cracked case). I swapped the trans and that's working good but now I still have the 3 amigos on start up (they were on before). I still have the front d/s out since i haven't got a replacement yet and have been driving with the diff locked. But even when I shut the vehicle off and unlock the diff and restart it (no cdl light) the amigos are there. The scanner I have will read driveline and body codes but it shows nothing. The other scanner I have shows an a/t module in addition to the ecm but no codes. A lot of back story to ask, How do I pull these codes?

Thanks

Old 05-03-2021, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

You must have a scantool which is capable of pulling LR specific faults from the SLABS Unit. You can wait until you get a scantool to read the actual fault codes, but I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say your Shuttle Valve Switch wiring is probably cracked to pieces or not even there period. Then the internal connection inside the Wabco Unit itself is probably messed up so IMHO I'd perform Option B while trying to locate a good scantool like the iCarsoft LRII or the model just below it to verify the codes. D2's aren't getting any younger and years and years of neglect 3 Amigo wise means it honestly just needs Option B performed (you can re-insulate the original Shuttle Valve Switches normally vs buying a new one) then clear the faults and if it comes back it'll probably just be a bad ABS sensor connection or ABS Sensor/Hub Assembly. After that enjoy HDC/ABS/TC function!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you. Looks like ill give option B a shot since its basically free. Will I need a scan tool to reset the codes? I am reading conflicting things.

Zach

Old 05-03-2021, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Yes the SLABS unit will store hard faults. Ground/shuttle switch faults usually clear with a key cycle however.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:03 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Zach- You are going to want to do this as well with your 3 amigos repair:
https://www.jewellamberoil.com/sales...roducts_id=190
Do the job once and do it right. If memory serves, the Amigos repair also talks about this.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

90% of the time to be honest the actual Shuttle Valve Switches themselves = fine. It's the insulation on them which basically rots away causing ground faults. For example I removed the WABCO Unit off of my parts truck a little over a year ago just to keep it out of the elements. I decided to go ahead and remove the OEM Shuttle Valve Switch assembly and inspect it. I found 99% of the brown insulation completely gone. I metered out the actual switches, and then I used some 3/32 heatshrink and re-insulated the wiring, installed Option B 2 wire trailer harness on it, and I slapped into my trail spares box. When I got done it looked brand new. It's as good as the 50-100.00 replacement Shuttle Valve Switches. Insulation rotting, and the internal connection inside the WABCO Unit failing are probably 80% of all 3 Amigo issues on the D2. I've seen so many people just slap in a new Shuttle Valve Switch only to have the 3 Amigos come & go after a key cycle...... They end up doing the job twice because they didn't think Option B was worth it. In the end their Shuttle Valve Switches were fine and it was the WABCO Unit's internal connection which failed. Option B IMHO should be done to every single D2 out there because eventually the internal connection will fail. It's super simple, it fixes the issue with the WABCO Unit for good, and it makes the system easier to trouble shoot as you then just have sensors/hubs/connectors to worry about.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-03-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:23 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Just want to agree on the option B.
Well worth doing. For mine was just the insulation rotting too. Been three or four years since I did it, no problems since.

Old 05-04-2021, 06:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 438 Likes on 298 Posts

pay attention to bypass wiring of shuttle switches:

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (05-06-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 07:15 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Well then, I do enjoy being in the 10%. There was brake fluid making it's way past the rotted O-rings. I am also a believer in preventive maintenance preventing corrective maintenance.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Sleepy O-Rings in the Wabco unit itself is an entirely different issue. The Shuttle Valve Switches just have rubber protective boots on them. The seals are actually up inside the Wabco unit where the Shuttle Valve Switches stick up into the pistons.

Trust me I do not half *** any repair especially with brakes, but most of the time the Shuttle Valve Switches are hardly ever faulty. Besides the crappy insulation it's actually a very well made assembly.

On a paying customers vehicle of coarse slap a new 45-65.00 assembly into it, but at the same time I wouldn't let it roll out without performing Option B or it would be right back in with ABS ground fault issues.

I've owned so many D2's over the years & not a single one of them had the 3 Amigo's. It used to be hard to pull codes with going to the dealer with a T4/VCM Unit, then the ABS Amigo came along, and finally a lot of handheld scanners could start reading LR D2 ABS fault codes which made life so much easier. Then the Hummer H1 guys came up with Option B to repair the same issues they had with the same Wabco Unit.

Quick Reply: Pulling 3 Amigos Codes