Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling 3 Amigos Codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

It's super easy to test the Shuttle Valve switches with a meter so there is no guessing if they are good or not. Definitely do option b, it will save you a ton of headaches in the future.

The following users liked this post:
Motorhead1 (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you test with a meter? I I checked resistance at the connector but it only shows open circuit even if I push one or both of the switches? The option B write up only has specs for resistance thought the entire thing. I am guessing open circuit is bad.

Thanks every one for their help.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Zach- I PM'd you last night. Check it please.

Old 05-06-2021, 07:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by XRAD
pay attention to bypass wiring of shuttle switches:

Thanks for this pic!
I keep posting on other LR and Discovery forums there is a difference in polarity depending on the way you complete the Option B on the shuttle valve switch.

Old 05-06-2021, 01:33 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 438 Likes on 298 Posts

YW! It's just wayyy easier to bypass the switch traces on the circuit board.....now you can hook your ground and sensor wire up either way...and I didn't even remove the sensor wire from the plug (just tapped into it)....

Old 05-06-2021, 01:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by matt3502
Zach- You are going to want to do this as well with your 3 amigos repair:
https://www.jewellamberoil.com/sales...roducts_id=190
Do the job once and do it right. If memory serves, the Amigos repair also talks about this.
Or he could stop at any shop with an autel or verus or launch computer to see what the code is before he starts guessing at what's wrong with a super complex system.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Not sure I'd call it super complex, difficult to work on without the proper diagnostic tools sure, but hardware wise it's nothing vs stuff from 2010 & up on almost all newer vehicles. Just an ABS Modulator (Wabco Unit), ECU (SLABS Unit), Master Cylinder, Brake Switch, and 4 wheel sensors.

Like I said before Option B is preventative maintenance as that connection in the WABCO Unit will eventually fail, so that modification eliminates that issue for good, which then simplifies diagnosis.

I have yet to do the Option B mod/upgrade and say to myself well that was a waste of time.

The following users liked this post:
matt3502 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So because you feel the system is not super complicated, he should start guessing? Occam's razor teaches us that accounting for unknowns, the correct hypothesis is the one with the fewest steps. So following that, get codes scanned.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
So because you feel the system is not super complicated, he should start guessing? Occam's razor teaches us that accounting for unknowns, the correct hypothesis is the one with the fewest steps. So following that, get codes scanned.
Yep I instructed him to get a Magic 8 Ball and to start guessing immediately.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Best4x4
You must have a scantool which is capable of pulling LR specific faults from the SLABS Unit. You can wait until you get a scantool to read the actual fault codes, but I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say your Shuttle Valve Switch wiring is probably cracked to pieces or not even there period. Then the internal connection inside the Wabco Unit itself is probably messed up so IMHO I'd perform Option B while trying to locate a good scantool like the iCarsoft LRII or the model just below it to verify the codes. D2's aren't getting any younger and years and years of neglect 3 Amigo wise means it honestly just needs Option B performed (you can re-insulate the original Shuttle Valve Switches normally vs buying a new one) then clear the faults and if it comes back it'll probably just be a bad ABS sensor connection or ABS Sensor/Hub Assembly. After that enjoy HDC/ABS/TC function!
??????? "I'm willing to go out on a limb here and say your Shuttle Valve Switch wiring is probably cracked to pieces or not even there period." ?????? Yeah, his "shuttle valve switch wiring is not even there period." That's a strong hypothesis.

Quick Reply: Pulling 3 Amigos Codes