Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling motor question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling motor question

It has been a few since I posted but getting warm enough and I am running out of time so I have gotta get it done. Is there any thing I need to know. Is there anyplace that host rave manual. I got a tablet and can not download it. I know basics of motor pulling, tc nuts, wiring, hoses, lines, pull intake and coil packs, and pull mounts drop motor to get back housing top bolts. Maybe some beer in there somewhere. Looking forward to getting started and getting it done.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I am on a PC, but http://www.landroverresource.com/doc...hop_Manual.pdf pulls up the entire manual in the browser in PDF form.

I just followed the RAVE when pulling my engine right after I bought my D2. Yes, beer was one of the required tools! I made sure to reinstall every bolt I removed into the original location to make sure everything was put back in the right place.

The following users liked this post:
ST_Farms (02-08-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty straight forward. The bell housing bolts are a pita. Have lots of baggies and a sharpie on hand to label where every bolt and but go. I put all the electrical clips back in the plug they came from to minimize that a little.

The following users liked this post:
ST_Farms (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Awesome, that one did download. Other ones I tried would say start download but would never take. I will have all my magnetic trays,sharpie, and camera before starting. One bummer the parts one I rolled in didnt clear by much. So after tires and lift dont think it will be going in. Guess time to put a big door in.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Wow, priority one beer. Priority two replace all pinch clamps with worm clamps. I am making a little headway but what pita. Not the worse but far from good. I believe I have broke every plastic coolant line on it, one just looking at it. Hoping it will be better second time around. Now if only the pole barn was heated, but better than laying in the driveway doing it. Will keep posted.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Remove the motor mounta and let the engine tip forward on a floor jack to get to the top bellhousing bolts

Old 02-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mounts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Remove the motor mounta and let the engine tip forward on a floor jack to get to the top bellhousing bolts
You'll have to raise it to get the mounts out before you tip it. I had an offset wrench that really helped get those two bolts out. You may find it helpful to loosen the transmission mounts when you tip the engine. (I did it that way)

I take a big piece of cardboard, punch the bolts though it, and then write next to the bolts. OilPatch's bag system will work great as well.

You will break every plastic coolant line unless they are practically new. Period. Also, prepare to deal with broken exhaust studs.

Any questions, keep us posted.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I snapped the little plastic vacuum hose that's on the passenger side by the firewall. That was not the easiest piece to find a replacement on.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Three Wheeling

Thats what down to now. Mtr mounts, converter, and bell housing bolts. PO had allready removed Y pipe,think they was going to fix it and after little bit of work said no way. (driveshaft death) As far lines I was thinking bending brake line figured wouldnt have worry about breaking. Also wondering what hr quote is it to remove and reinstall a motor in one,I had seen 16 for head gasket. Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I have no idea what book time is, but my quasi-competent mechanic next door neighbor and I were able to get my grenaded engine out in a weekend and the replacement engine in and running the next weekend.
It might have sped things up had we not decided to imbibe so much alcohol when removing the old one, because after a week of forgetting where things went, we had to return to the same drunken state in order to remember.

Quick Reply: Pulling motor question