Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchased 2001 Disco... New problems..

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013 | 08:40 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Question Purchased 2001 Disco... New problems..

I purchased a 2001 Discovery with just under 90k miles for a bargain price!

but... upon driving it off the lot I've had a few issues arise and I have a billion questions...

Knock Sensor Code and O2 Sensor Code (dealership is going to repair this)

I'm also getting horrible MPGs on Premium fuel which I'm guessing is due to the O2 Sensor?

My driver window will come off track easily (new regulator needed?) and my rear driver door lock acuator seems to have died as well, could that be a fuse? loose wire?

Thanks!

Last edited by Rferguson; 08-01-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2013 | 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

O2 sensor will imapct mpg, but don't expect much above 15 - 17.

The RAVE is the factory set of shop manuals, including owner manual and electrical guides. Free download in links below. Actuators are famous for dying.

Be aware of two important things. The front drive shaft, if original, can snap at any moment as grease is baked out of the sealed end. Replace or rebuild with fully greaseable. If it snaps while driving you could be buying a trasmission.

The heat gauge will point at 50% between 130 - 240F. So you can be way too hot and think it is OK. Get a scanner or Ultra Gauge to know the real facts, consider a 180F Land Rover thermostat as an upgrade.

Attached Thumbnails Purchased 2001 Disco... New problems..-tranny%2520hole_02.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013 | 08:59 AM
|
Three Wheeling

15-17 is alot better than the 7-9 I MAY be getting now!

I'll download the book for sure, Before I purchased the truck much of the front end of this truck has been replaced under the hood and underneath. OH I also have a broken exhaust bracket that rattles like a B***H!

I will have the service records pulled so I have exact knowledge of what's wrong. The dealer told me the previous owner did a lot of work to it but ended up putting a lot more into it than it was worth so they sold it.

Old 07-18-2013 | 10:36 AM
Administrator

First, you can't pull someone elses service records. Secondly, you should have have done a prepurchase inspection prior to buying it and then have it all fixed.
What are all the fault code Numbers?
Why was the front end replaced, that is a huge red flag?
As for the window, that will require a new window regulator.
Make sure the dealer replace the knock sensor, don't let them do any type of adjustments to it because it can not be fixed, replacement only.
Go to the top of this section and read/do my major service list, especially the front drive shaft. I suggest you do it or you'll be paying any easy $1000 or more thru a shop.
I will be glad to walk you thru that list.

Old 07-18-2013 | 01:11 PM
|
Three Wheeling

The repairs were preventative, the truck has never been in any accidents. The codes I can't remember off the top of my head but I do remember KNOCK and O2 were the only 2 codes. The dealer out sources all service to the brand dealer. They are paying for my car to have those 2 sensors replaced as I purchased a full bumper to bumper warranty,0 deductible and full loaner car coverage for peace-of-mind.

Old 07-19-2013 | 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Rferguson
My driver window will come off track easily (new regulator needed?) and my rear driver door lock acuator seems to have died as well, could that be a fuse? loose wire?
I have not dealt with it myself yet, but I believe there is a plastic wheel on the window tracks that breaks. It can be replaced with a metal one if desired.

First check for loose wires and hope that's it, but it's more likely the Lock Actuator let go inside (Motor, Gear, Linkage).

Old 07-19-2013 | 11:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rferguson
The repairs were preventative, the truck has never been in any accidents. The codes I can't remember off the top of my head but I do remember KNOCK and O2 were the only 2 codes. The dealer out sources all service to the brand dealer. They are paying for my car to have those 2 sensors replaced as I purchased a full bumper to bumper warranty,0 deductible and full loaner car coverage for peace-of-mind.
So still plan on doing my major service list, especially the front drive shaft.

Old 07-22-2013 | 11:31 AM
|
Three Wheeling

I will look at the window and see if that's the issue. It's been working fine for the last week just SOMETIMES it'll get off track and I have to wiggle it back up and then it'll work just fine.

Old 07-22-2013 | 02:07 PM
TReK

Well, you are doing fine.
MPG will be 15 to 17.4 on a long trip.

O2 sensor - replace ASAP. This will improve MPG a lot.

Window off track - replace window regulator.

Old 07-22-2013 | 10:19 PM
Winching

Milage might just be the normal shock of driving a Disco 2. It's the fuel equivalent of driving a pallet of bricks around. Okay on the highway, but if you're in town, drive gently but still prepare to spend a lot of time at the pumps. And if you enjoy jumping hard off the lights, better get an extra part time job.

Quick Reply: Purchased 2001 Disco... New problems..