Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quaker State Oil, $2/qt

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quaker State Oil, $2/qt

Wal-Mart, yes, I know, they are an evil empire, but, they have Quaker State oil in 5 quart containers for $10.00. I bought 2.

They also have Fram, I know, Fram are crap, X-tra Guard oil filters for $3.50

so, you can do your own oil change, with brand name stuff, for about $17.00

Old 03-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know we all have our preferences but Q-state? Why would you put something in your engine that is as dark as what should be coming out at 3K miles? My truck with 318K miles oil comes out at nice amber at change time that isn't even that dark.

BTW... quite a few independent studies out there that show Fram is pretty low on the list. Wallymarts brand performs actually quite well very close to WIX and Napa Gold for filtering and flow.....

Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No Fram. You really get what you pay for in filters. I don't mind Quaker State, but any Dino juice is ok if you change it when you should. I would just stay away from Fram filters. Brand name or not..I know you said it in your post, but I saw some free poo today....I didn't pick it up because I knew it was poo.... =)

Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd like to share my experience:
I have been using Citgo motor oil for over 25 years. I get it at the local farm & barn. Its consistantly the cheapest name brand oil available in our area. They also have it re-package under the store name as well. When it's on sale, I can buy it for around 60 cents a quart. Right now it's on sale for 90 something cents/quart. I usually buy several cases at a time when they have their spring blow-out sale. I have some out in the garage I bought a few years ago that I paid .19 cents for (not .91)!

Now for the good part: I have never had any engine related issues in all my years whatsoever. I have taken several vehicles well over 200k miles. For filters I use three different types: NAPA Gold (Wix), AC Delco or Motorcraft. These are all top-line filters. Fram filters are really a rip-off when you think about it. They are usually $5 and for that you can buy a NAPA Gold or Silver filter all day long and it's 3x the filter. Cut one apart when you're done and compare the internals to any I listed above. They have one of the best marketing schemes in the Biz but, honestly they are the McDonalds of filters. The higher end Fram filters (McRib?) are pretty good, but then they cost $10 ea. I use a Motorcraft FL1A on our Disco. Find a Farm & Barn type place. Watch their sale ads. They are often a great place to buy oil.

Last edited by Mark G; 03-29-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The fram extended guard filters are pretty impressive though expensive. The rest are crap. They have cardboard end caps and for the same price or a couple dollars more you can get a proper filter with metal end caps. Also for $10.50 you can get a gallon of Delo LE 15w40 which is a better choice IMO for a flat tappet engine that has the problems hat ours do. That being said Quaker State is a fine oil for most modern engine applications just not ours IMO.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a Motorcraft FL1A on our Disco. Find a Farm & Barn type place. Watch their sale ads. They are often a great place to buy oil.[/quote]

Does anyone know if this is the biggest filter that will fit on the Disco's?

I run the FL1A equivilants in WIX or Napa on my modded Saabs as well to get the extra oil capacity.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the Napa Gold/Wix 51515 or PureOne PL30001. I have ton of M1 301 filters though from the M1 oil change sales

Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Rock Crawling

In my humble opinion, seeing most brands of motorcycles that we work on, ATVs included, come in with Fram or cheaper, whichever the illegally run shops or customer's friends (who always know more about motorcycles than we do ) and whatever car oil, not motorcycle oil, but, car oil, run to 10,000 miles, at 10,000 rpm, and never allowed to warm up properly, I do believe that my Disco, with questionable service history (until I bought it) will do just fine with a discount oil change for the 3,000 miles both the oil and filter will be in/on.

and I checked it, that is not a run-on sentence!!

Old 03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fine punctuation

I use the wix (might be the 51515) by the case
used to use k&n big boy, but $15 was overkill for my needs.

I used to use castrol gtx 10-40, but recently started rotella 15-40 (w-mart), it gives me 3# more oil pressure hot @ idle (now 18-20#)

luck,greg

Old 03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

this is my third oil change. I've owned her for 7 months. I definitely hit 3 months before I hit 3k. It's ten miles round trip to work. I ride my scooter most nice days. Knock on wood, no ticking or knocking.

My next oil change I'll probably do a Wix or Purolator filter and synthetic oil. I'm basically trying to flush any crap out of her I can without putting ATF or oil flush in my engine. I know others believe differently, but, I think that stuff can do more harm than good to high mileage engines.

Thank you for the punctuation compliment!

Quick Reply: Quaker State Oil, $2/qt