Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about the 2wd to 4wd adapter? and some other thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the 2wd to 4wd adapter? and some other thoughts?

I have a 2004 T-case on the way to do the swap to get the CDL option. I plan on ordering the
{AMV Discovery Series II Electronic Centre Diff Lock Actuator} depending on the Price.

another item I am Curious about is the {LT 230 Part Time 2wd fulltime 4wd adapter}

I was thinking about installing it before the swap, anyone do this and if So what was your experence?

After the above is complete, I plan on getting the Detroit Truetrac Diffs. I have sourced with the Bearings installed for around $600.00each.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure what the 2wd adapter is.... just looked it up. Never saw it before. I will say that the diffs are undersized in these trucks because they were engineered to use full time 4wd. If you do away with the front power, it will be too much on the rear diff. If you are not dropping your front shaft, you aren't saving anything. All of that stuff is still swining resistance. I would stay away from it.

You can get a shifter out of a D1 or out of a 2004 if you want. You don't have to use the solenoid version. Just whatever you want.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would totaly agree with what "okdiscoguy" said.

I have never even heard of this before. Looks like I am going to have to make some lunch early and do some research on this one - very interesting...

Do you have a link to who you would actually buy the kit from?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dont do it, you will only save 1-2 mpg and that wont be enough to get your money back for the kit unless you drive the truck for 10 years.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Camel Trophy

personally, I don't see how it will save you anything. I only see what harm it will do.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
personally, I don't see how it will save you anything. I only see what harm it will do.
It could save you a little on gas (barely) and maybe a little stress on your front diff/shafts/Etc. But after looking into this more it looks as though it causes more problems then its worth and you will end up spending a lot more money on beefing your truck up from the t-case back.

I know that there are guys who do this with their Subaru's, Mitsubishi Evo's, Audi S4's, and other all-wheel drive cars to make them into drift cars, but again they put a **** load of money into the car to do this.

I personally would never do this to my Disco.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling

Evidently leave good enough alone,alone. I thought it seem alittle Odd.

Trust me I f I wanted to save on Gas I would not Own A Disco.

I found a Used 2004 Linkage/shifter so the motor actuator is out.

I was talking to a tranny shop about the trutracs, they recommended that I have a shop do the diff swaps,seems there maybe some backlash issues if I do not shim it properly. I was thinking I could Just swap them out in the garage.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
He already said he was going to install lockers, so that takes care of the weak diff issue.
And it has been reported more than once on here that when someone removes the front driveshaft they get 1-2 better mpg.
I agree with you that it is totally not worth it.

Have a shop install the lockers, but I really recommend installing the CDL and then taking it out onto the trails before spending that kind of money.
You will be REALLY impressed with the offroad prowness of the truck in stock form.
A CDL, the traction control and a good set of all terrains will get you more places than you think.

Personally I dont see the need for lockers unless you are mud bogging or rock climbing, but each to his own.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Uh, not sure what you are saying...?

You won't drop the front shaft, it will stay. All parts are the same, only you can select power to the rear only, or normal distribution. I said that I can see no benefit to installing the part. No mileage increase. This part will not allow you to drop the front shaft because it will send power to the rear unlocked, and power all over locked.

What you are talking about is people dropping the front shaft and locking the T-case. It has nothing to do with the part he is asking about.

All I was saying is that you will not save MPG's. All of the parts are still there. The front shaft is still attached, and while it isn't being driven by the t-case directly, it will be spun by the front tires. Same parts, same resistance.

Quick Reply: Question about the 2wd to 4wd adapter? and some other thoughts?