Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about erasing codes and state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
If they are really that incorrect, then why did one of those replies contain an example of it working specifically on a Rover?

I cleared codes off my BMW 325 by unplugging the battery and let it sit overnight in the parking lot. Although its not a Rover, its still the same concept isnt it?

With that being said, the codes came back, but not before I passed inspection. Whats the worst that'll happen? They fail you and you have to bring it back the next day? Why not give it a whirl, although, if your planning on fixing them anyways, why not just fix them first and save yourself the hassle? Can you get a temp permit?
Exactly my point... I said, "It worked for my volvo, who knows if it'll work for the Disco" but it's free, so why not? The codes came back, but it was almost a hundred miles later.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Just dont have the cash right now to diagnoise and fix the check engine lights and I have an appointment this thursday to get my brake system properly flushed by a rover shop. Just feel better driving around with a sticker in the mean time. I recently replaced my battery but we will see what happens. thanks all for the replies.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Already used it plus a fellow member emailed me the definitions of the codes. The descriptions are above my comprehension and I do not know how to determine or better yet how to pin point the problem. So for now I just want to bypass the codes long enough to slap a sticker on so I dont get pulled over. I do have every intention of addressing the issue, but right now Im broke and focused more on getting the brake system properly bleed. Have an appointment this Thursday at a local Rover indi shop to get the SLABS, MC and wheels properly bled. Then have to replace the brake servo booster. Once all thats done Ill work on the check engine codes.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to fix the P1171 and P1174 codes by replacing my broken air box, tightening the clamps on the intake hose and putting back a disconnected vac hose on the manifold.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

And 1171 and 1174 are codes that have to occur on two drive cycles to turn on the CEL light. So you may think they are cleared, but they could be pending, then pop back up on second time you drive from a cold start. The ECU is built so that fellows can't just cycle power and reboot around the corner from inspectons anymore. Just another way to suck taxes out of people and provide some "good old boy" cash back to the auto repair industry. Next thing you know they'll want to measure your radio decibels and tax you for exceeding the noise floor of suburbia.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Triar..

Your truck will NOT pass NH State inspection

1) You do not have sufficient brakes to pass safety (replace your brake booster)
2) The vacuum leak caused by the defective brake booster will not go away until
the brake booster is replaced.
3) P1171/1174 faults can be flagged due to vacuum leaks ie: faulty brake booster
Until you repair your brakes, I would not spend any more time trying to diagnose
your CEL. nor would I try to go through State Inspection. They could in theory
impound your truck for being unsafe

4) Here's the NH state inspection guidelines, I'd suggest you read and understand them.
http://65.82.88.69/Gordon-Darby_New_...shire.htm#_top

5) As far as your booster goes. Buy this one and be done with it.

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Cheers

Mike

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 02-12-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

impound the truck... now that's a wake up call.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by threalassmikeg
They could in theory
impound your truck for being unsafe
That only happens in NJ.

Everyone else will either send you home, or give you a 10 day sticker to make repairs and try again, or give you a sticker if you pass safety and spend some arbitrary amount towards emissions repairs.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

I got a retired police car for my employer from a state auction north of Atlanta. Put in a new battery, drove to the metro area, to get emission test. Failed because not enough miles after reset, was end of the business day. Had to go back to home base in Savannah, then drive the car back to metro area to get tested again. Because the empoyer has all vehicles tagged in Atlanta, so we have to play by their rules. No testing in the rest of the state. But it can certainly waste a lot of your time. The ride from Savannah to hotlanta is 245 miles of boring both ways. Of course in an unmarked Crown Vic with multiple antennas you get a little slack.

Quick Reply: Question about erasing codes and state inspection