Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Rear Hub assembly and Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Rear Hub assembly and Vibration

Hi,
Last week I had the 60,000 mile check up for my car. I went to a dealership since there is no one where I live that can work on Land Rovers. They told me that I needed rear brakes and one rear hub assembly. I did not know what to do, so I agreed to the work. They also told me that my brakes had some life to them but to replace them they had to replace the rotors and pads since with a land rover you cannot just replace the pads. Now, it seems as though when I accelerate, at ~ 30 and 50, I feel as though there is a roughness or vibration under the gas pedal. I do not feel it in the steering wheel. Is it possible that this is due to the replacement of the rear hub assembly?? I called a local mechanic that does not work on land rovers but just wanted an opinion, and he told me that it sounded like the front drive shaft and that I needed to have it replaced right away or it will ruin my transmission. Is it possible that when they replaced the rear hub assembly that they did something to the front drive shaft. I am so depressed. I have a 2004 discovery that I have had since day one and I love it. I am really worried now. Maybe this vibration was always there and I am just focusing on it since I had all this work done. I live 2 1/2 hours from the dealer otherwise I would have returned already. Is there anyway for a local mechanic to drive it or put it on a lift to see if the front drive shaft is going bad? Also, is there anyway for someone to tell if the hub assembly is bad? This is so confusing.

Last edited by jennii; 10-10-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK!!!!
It sounds like your front drive shaft is about to break, and when it does it WILL destroy your transmission.
Take it to that guy you spoke with and ask him to rebuild the front driveshaft with GREASEABLE u-joints.
Any mechanic can work on these trucks, it's just that they get scared because it is a Land Rover.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
8th Gear

So when they replaced the hub assembly did they do something to the drive shaft?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also have em replace the centering ball.

if you have a CDL, you can take out the d/s and still drive the truck.

another option is to buy a new shaft from Tom Woods ($350), but if you do a lot of highway driving I'd just rebuild yours.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First things first, have the truck TOWED to a mechanic and have them check that front driveshaft. Ask me how I know.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tornado_735
First things first, have the truck TOWED to a mechanic and have them check that front driveshaft. Ask me how I know.
Thank you for the assist, I forgot to tell her to do that.
You should post some pics so she can see what could happen.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
8th Gear

I get it guys. LOL From what I've read this should be done even if nothing is wrong. However, no one answered my question. I just had the 60,000 check. I would hope that the mechanic looked at the drive shaft and even greased the bearings while they did this very expensive check-up!! And no one has answered my question. Can the replacement of a hub assembly cause this problem?

Anyway, what would the cost of this repair be.

By the way, this slight vibration is just felt under the gas pedal. It does not vibrate through the steering wheel or seat. I had a neighbor who works on his own car, drive it and he told me that it does not feel like a drive shaft problem, but he did not look under the car.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Team Owner

The only way a hub replacement could cause this is if they did not tighten up the retaining nut correctly.
But that is very unlikely.

Remember that just because you took it in for a "check up" does not mean they looked at the driveshaft.
There is no way to tell that a u-joint is bad just by looking at it.
The drive shaft on a DII is non serviceable, so it cannot be greased.
Look at your receipt, it will tell you everything they did.
I am betting that if they did any actual work all they did was change the engine oil, transmission fluid, and the fluid in the differentials and the transfer case and they did nothing else.
A "check up" is nothing more than looking it over, which means it went up on the hoist and he went and got coffee and a donut.

That vibration under your feet while accelerating is you front driveshaft getting ready to grenade.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:55 PM
8th Gear

well I hope they did not lie when they claim they changed the spark plugs. Anyway, what will this cost.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:11 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Probably anywhere from $175-$250 from an indy shop (mine was $175 a couple years ago). Or buy a new Tom Woods for $350. The Tom Woods is nice its an easy install too just 8 bolts.

Quick Reply: Question about Rear Hub assembly and Vibration