Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about a tire change

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a tire change

This probably seems like a really dumb question buttoday I had my spring tires changed to my new winter tires on my 2004 Disco.AfterI drove away and made a stop, I noticed that around every rim where it attaches to the tire and approximately 2 inches on the rubber of the tire I see this while gooky material. I have never seen this before after I had any tire change. Does anyone know what this may be? It is around all four of the tires. Thanks, Mariah

Old 11-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question about a tire change

It's probably a lube of some sorts they used to get the new tires on the rims. Clean it off and if it keeps happening get back with us.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Mudding

Yeah it's probably mounting lube, and I'd go back and makethem clean it off!! And suggest they comp you some kind of discount coupon for wasting your time.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, mounting lube with anti-corrosion. Alloy rims will corrode around the bead and leak air.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Man you guys are tough!

I've had that happen. It's not hard to do. Thing is, if it is mounting lube, theymay wellhave cleaned it off, but sometimes a little persists just under or around the bead,when ya drive the centrifical force causes what small amount is leftto creep out. I say, just take 5 minutes and hose it off and don't stress yourself out. It'll be a lot faster than driving all the way back to the tire shop,waiting, making a case, sounding like an idiot that doesn't know squat, waiting for the guy to look at it, waiting for another guy to hose it off, then hear them laugh at you when ya drive off. What's your time worth? You could have a good lunch in the time you'd waste. You can always call the shop and tell them what happend and ask theybe more careful in case others feel the same way.Next time you buy tires, just make sure to remind them to clean the tires off thoroughly. Anyway, that's my take.

Mark G

Old 11-02-2007, 09:00 PM
4wd Low

Wow, Thanks LOL!! I was going to go back tomorrow anyway to have them re-torque the nuts on the rims. I was told by one tire dealer that everytime you have the tires changed you should go backwithin the first 50 milesto have this done. What are your thoughts on that??I would rather wait until Monday but I already put50 miles on since I had the tires changed.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
Team Owner

It doesnt have to be exactly 50 miles. If you wait until Mon the wheels arent going to fall off.
Just make sure that they have NOT used a impact wrench to put the lugs on. It will "stretch" the lug nuts and you will never get your tire tool on them in the event that you have a flat tire.
Also make sure that you check the tire pressure in your spare tire every six months.
Tires are not air tight and they leak. Even the spare. It will go flat and look full because there is no weight on it.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's a good safety measure.

..although I've never had any come loose in the 20yrs I've been rotating my tires. I've got5 cars/trucks we drive regularly.

Mark G

Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 PM
4wd Low

It doesnt have to be exactly 50 miles. If you wait until Mon the wheels arent going to fall off.
Just make sure that they have NOT used a impact wrench to put the lugs on. It will "stretch" the lug nuts and you will never get your tire tool on them in the event that you have a flat tire.

Wow, I have no idea what type of wrench they used. I am assuming that when I go back they should use a hand wrench instead of that power one to re-torque?? In the past when I had the tires changed from winter to summer and back they always used the hand wrench to re-torque. Last time, I went to a different shop and they seemed real annoyed that I came back to ask them to re-torque the tires and they used the power wrench to do it. Anyway, when you look at my lug nuts they do look a bit worn. So should I have them use the hand wrench to re-torque?

Old 11-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Team Owner

Yes, make them use a tourqe wrench by hand. And then get out your tire tool (have it out before you leave the house) and go around and make sure that it will still fit on your lug nuts.
There are many posts on here about tire shops having to buy new lug nuts for a Land Rover ($200) because they used a air tool (it's that really loud noise you hear all over the shop) to put the wheels back on.

Quick Reply: Question about a tire change