Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about White Shepard

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:37 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about White Shepard

I have read on this forum and other LR forums about the great results people have gotten from White Shepard stop leak. I want to put it in my transfer case but do not know how much to put in. The vehicle is a 03 D2. The sad part, I had it out and had everything resealed by my guys-I am co owner of a repair shop. After 300 miles it has started leaking again. Getting desperate now. thanks

Last edited by discoboy; 02-15-2010 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Did not need icon
Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Three Wheeling

I used it for oil pan leak and main seal leak, and it worked great, no leaks now

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try 1/3 bottle in the gear boxes. Where is it leaking from, the front or rear seals? I'm surprised it is leaking if you replaced the seals.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Just a note here........there should be a vent hose to relieve pressure inside the case as the gears and oil "heat" up, if that vent is plugged ( mud, snow, whatever...) it will continue to leak no matter what you have done, or what you pour in.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I also want to know specifically where it is leaking from.
WhiteShepherd is a great product. When in doubt, call their number and ask how much to use.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

according to the guys at Universal Products, the makers of White Shepherd, use the entire bottle in the transfer case. It worked great in my DI transfer case on the upper seals. When the rear output seal failed, the inner most part of the seal broke away from the main part, including a metal ring, white shepherd was outgunned. Up to that point, it had worked very well in my transfer case. Mine had been dry for about 2 plus years. All the best, Phil

1999 DI
2001 DII

Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the answers guys! It is leaking from the front portion of the transfer case, that part was not removed and resealed because it was not leaking so the guys figure they leave it alone, I shoulda told them to do it all...I did put the whole bottle in, then refilled with new diff fluid. Will check tomorrow again after 75 miles..fingers crossed. Will re-do if needed when we have some time. Sucks though

Old 02-16-2010, 11:53 PM
Drifting

Where do I get this White Shepherd stuff at? I got a minor oil leak Id like to try it on.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:10 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

In So Cal, Kragen's used to carry it before they merged with Orielly's. I got a bottle last week at Napa. You may need to ask for it as they keep it in the back and not out on the shelf. The salesperson had never heard of it when I asked for it. You can also order it direct from Universal Products. Even with shipping you usually get it for less than you can buy it locally. Good luck. Phil

Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Drifting

Alright thanks man, I looked at there website and it says Most local Auto Parts Sell it. I am gonna add some of that here soon. One More question while on the topic. What do you guys do to clean all the oil that is all over everything up under the LR? Its all over up under from leaking for a while now, mostly towards the Front of the LR. I just want to get it somewhat clean, add this stuff and see if it helps, I would never know right now with the oil all over.

Quick Reply: Question about White Shepard