Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Removal of D2 Panel Parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Question on Removal of D2 Panel Parts

Hello

I'm getting rid of rattles on my 2003 D2. I've located 2 sources of rattling noises - one is from the A-pillar molding (that is what the person at the dealer parts dept called it) and the rocker panels (the plastic pieces under the front and rear doors).

Attached are photos of the parts that need repair:

Question on Removal of D2 Panel Parts-photo-1.jpg

Question on Removal of D2 Panel Parts-photo-2.jpg

The first pic is of the pillar black plastic molding - it is loose and shakes a lot. The 2nd pic is of the rocker panel on the left side of the vehicle. It too is loose, as well as the right side of the vehicle.

If anyone has done a repair on these, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help here

Al G
2003 D2 SE7

Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you have never removed the "A" pillar molding, replaced the clip and reinstall it, it can be a pain.
The lower sill molding is held on by 8, I believe, plastic plugs, never seen one rattle unless it has met up with one too many boulders.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you have never removed the "A" pillar molding, replaced the clip and reinstall it, it can be a pain.
The lower sill molding is held on by 8, I believe, plastic plugs, never seen one rattle unless it has met up with one too many boulders.
Mike

Thanks. Would you be able to direct me to the appropriate pages of the Rave manual? I tried and couldn't find the information

Yes, my guess is previous owner took Rover offroading and probably hit the lower sill moldings against some boulders...

Al

Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by aguison
Mike

Thanks. Would you be able to direct me to the appropriate pages of the Rave manual? I tried and couldn't find the information

Yes, my guess is previous owner took Rover offroading and probably hit the lower sill moldings against some boulders...

Al
Did you install the running boards?
No? Then the sills have never hit anything.
If the plastic door sills hit a boulder...think about it.
If the running boards had hit a boulder, they'd be all jacked up to.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Did you install the running boards?
No? Then the sills have never hit anything.
If the plastic door sills hit a boulder...think about it.
If the running boards had hit a boulder, they'd be all jacked up to.
Thanks. I'm glad someone's paying attention

Yes I installed the running board AFTER buying it from the previous owner. So I know it wasn't me who caused the lower sill from becoming loose.

Any guidance on removing the pillar molding and lower sill moldings?

Thanks again

Old 03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

No, I have no idea man, the sill panel should just pop right off with a panel popper, get under the truck, open the doors, should be pretty obvious on those I would think.
As for the "A" pillar, I did not realize on the DII that was a cover, on the DI it is painted steel and there is only the windshield trim.
This might give you a better idea on the sill's.
Rock Sliders
Scroll down to the installation instructions.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

To remove the a-pilar trim, open the door , you will see three plastic rivets. You need to punch out the middle of the ( you need new ones when you put it back on). Then you can pop it off, there are three metal clips along the windshield side that you need to remove.

When I removed mine, the metal clips stayed on the DII. I had to remove them and install them on the tehe trim when I reinstalled the trim.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

acamato's instructions are about the best you can get. Be patient with it though and don't force it, because they can become really brittle over time. I just hope your a-pillar isn't broken like mine were, they can be pretty pricey.

I'm a bit lost on why the rocker panels would be rattling or how you can even hear them. Maybe you lost one of the plugs in it. I would look for an empty hole in the sills, maybe you can just pop in a new plug and be good. I might try opening the doors and pulling on it some to track down where it would be loose.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Mudding

Madlands,

Nice looking Rovers you have in your pics!

I clean my cars myself every other week or so, and when my hands passed over the lower sill plastic moldings I found both left and right sides loose on the side of the rear doors. If I jiggle the plastic moldings, they make an annoying sound which I suspect is what I hear rattling from the cabin.

I think I got the pillar molding covered, thanks to acamato; while the lower sill moldings Disco Mike and you are saying they are held by plastic plugs? What I'll do next is peek under the car and as you said see if any plugs are missing and if they are buy them from the dealer.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The A-pillar "finisher" is the black plastic molding piece. I just replaced the drivers side one on mine. Cost for this 35 cent piece of plastic? $110. mine initially broke free at the top metal clip on the outside and started to rattle. Next, the middle piece broke, then finally the bottom broke and the thing flew off at speed on the highway. When it flew off, the metal clips stayed on the A-pillar with the broken plastic tabs still in it. I just pried them off with a flat-head screwdriver. On the inside, you have to pop out the three plastic rivets, and replace them when you pop on the new $110 piece of crap plastic replacement. I looked for used ones on the boards and e-bay but could not find one, so I got a new one from Rovers North.

Quick Reply: Question on Removal of D2 Panel Parts