Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on a used land Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 03:32 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on a used land Rover?

Hi Guys! I am new to this forum. I would really appreciate some help! I have been an fan of the Land Rover product for over 10 years, I am looking into buying my first Land Rover. I have been looking at a few used Discovery's in my area. I started to wonder if there are any bad years or problematic issues with some Discovery's? What would you consider the better years to own and why? I would love to get a Defender like most, but they are a bit out of my price range and I do like having the extra doors as I have kids!!!! I do go four wheeling (although light compared to most) I have another brand 4X4 that has served me very well over the past 10 plus years, but I really love the Land Rover brand! Thank you again for your help!

Joe G.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:58 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: Question on a used land Rover?

where are you from? that would help us determine the availability of a diesel

Old 03-04-2006, 04:10 AM
4th Gear

I am located in the Chicago land area. I have found a few Discovery's in my area that interest me, I just do not have the education on Land Rovers to buy the correct one! I am here hoping to have this forum's education on Land Rovers!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Hope i can help ya some info with Discos This is stuff that i learned from being on the forum and learning my truck.

1. Disco don't get honda gas mileage 11-13mpg town 15-17mpg hwy and if your lucky might be 19mpg hwy.
2. They are easy to work on with the proper tools as you will learn with time.
3. The are very strong with a heavy very stout frame and alloy steel panels welded for added strength.
4. they sway a little on turns due to tall ride height. the discovery2 not as much.
5. they pretty much total the other vehicle in an wreck unless it's a Mack Truck 18 wheeler. They don't deform easy. rugged construction
6. easy to modify from various companies.
7. In some the sensors light up the dash with the truck being fine it's a Disco thing live with it.
8. Stay on top of repairs basic oil,trans ,axle changes air,oil filters.
9. all discos are great but some of the eariler years had probs mostly with the sensors and electric components or some candy *** who didn't repair the vehicle correctly.
10 their the coolest looking rigs out there espcially when modded.
11. will last a very time if cared for
12. likes premium gas but many will tell ya if you can get away with lower gas do it.
12.you will turn heads
13. Very good off road in factory form.
14. if you do get a land rover have it check out by a rover tech this will save you dollas in the end but by that time you repair the truck yourself
15. LAST THEY ARE KILLER OFF ROAD VEHICLES DONT LET THE SHINY EXTERIOR FOOL YA THE DISCO IS A BEAST NOT TO BE MESSED WITH.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:02 PM
4th Gear

Thank you for your help Disco12!

This is a great information, it is exactly what I am looking for! The strange thing I have found here where I live is that the few people I have talked to driving around in a Land Rover seem to have purchased the vehicle for status reasons other than actually having a real interest in the brand. They all have given me bad ownership experience stories? I will say most that I have talked to were driving Freelander's though! The Freelander is a nice vehicle, I just have more of an interest in the Discovery! Thank you again disco12! Have a great weekend!

Joe G. : )

Old 03-04-2006, 09:16 PM
Rock Crawling

You very welcome. and with the discovery you care for it and it will be your best friend You have a great weekend as well I'm very glad I was able to help you.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:47 PM
6th Gear

Another consideration is rust. I would personally try to get one that hasn't spent much time in the Chicago metro, or any other place where salt it used heavily in the winter. Good Luck.